Lake Malawi Species • Predator/Cruiser tank Poll:Buccochromis, F rostratus...?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

The Contenders:

Poll ended at Mon May 21, 2007 10:30 pm

F. rostratus (3 males + 6-9 females)
20%
Buccochromis lepturus/rhoadesii (3 males + 6-9 females)
20%
Tyranochromis nigrinter (3 males + 6-9 females)
15%
Protomelas spilonotus Likoma/Mara rock (4 males + 8 females)
No votes
P. phenochilus+C. Borleyi kadango (3males of each + 6 females of each)
20%
O. lithobates (6-8 males+ 12-14 females)
10%
C. azureus (6-8 males + 12-14 females)
15%

Total votes : 20

Postby yellow » Wed May 02, 2007 5:52 am

nice choices i picked P. phenochilus+C. Borleyi kadango for the contrast. I used to keep Kadangos and they are beautiful fish. Which P. phenochilus are you going to get, i think only the Tanzania version gets the sparkles as they get older.
Frank
yellow

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby yellow » Wed May 02, 2007 11:07 am

those tropheus ( i think ) are beautiful i don´t believe u changed them for discus , no matter how nice they look they just sit in one place and do nothing.

Actually after looking again those discus are impressive.
Frank
yellow

Postby KNH » Fri May 04, 2007 12:24 am

From your list I went with the Buccos. Fosso would be my first choice but thats one species I think you may have problems with if you have multiple males and multiple females.
KNH
KNH

Postby AnnaFish » Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 am

I picked C. azureus because until I saw that link I had no idea what my blue fish was! It was sold to me as a Hap Ahli but I knew that wasn't what it was. Someone suggested it was a hybrid between an ahli and something else but now I know my fish is a textbook C. azureus

YAY!

also he is awesome and calm and breaks up lab fights

But I don't know how he would act with others of his species.

But alone he is really docile

He was never induced to unneccessary agression, even when my tank was at its worst. He even defended my feather fin from a particularly nasty livingstonii

And he's so pretty

Not really metalic like a Hap ahli -- but really pretty
AnnaFish

Postby Something Fishy » Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 am

I voted for F.rostratus. No Champsochromis caeruleus? If that were my setup, I would possibly do two breeding groups with them and the Fosso's.

You don't have N.linni on your list, i just got a WC linni yesterday and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite haps.

I have a single Buccochromis rhoadesii in my all male setup and he can be a brute though not too severe since i don't have any females. He was hassling my new Fosso and Lichnochromis in the past 24 hours but now i noticed that he's settling down and he never showed aggression before i brought new fish home. I personally wouldn't mix a breeding group of Bucco's with anything else.

BTW you didn't have Lichnocromis acuticeps on your list either, cool Hap IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide.....
Something Fishy

fossos

Postby spilorhynchus » Fri May 04, 2007 1:48 pm

I agree with something fishy about maybe trying two groups. I have kept spawning groups of F. rostratus and Champsochromis spilorhynchus and I believe F. rostratus males might tolerate each other a little better than some of the other predators mentioned. They are a tireless fish and you might get great color out of 3 or more males of similar size if they all join the school running back and forth across the tank with enough females with them.

Also, the fosso's would go fine with the borleyi kadango I believe. They really didn't seem too harsh on other species. As far as champs, buccos, and tyrannochromis those are all true predators and get big enough to swallow half grown protomelas and copadichromis species.

If you skip the fossos, champs and buccos or tyrannos and buccos might work well together.

With the less predatory and smaller utaka species I think there are hundreds of workable combos in that size tank.
spilorhynchus

and oh yeah

Postby spilorhynchus » Fri May 04, 2007 1:50 pm

and oh yeah sorry to hear of the tropheus losses...

I did the same thing years ago in a 180 gallon tank, only with smaller less expensive tropheus... once they start dying off with bloat it can be very difficult to stop. I haven't kept a tropheus in years now.
spilorhynchus

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species