Lake Malawi Species • 8ft. 250 gal stocking poll F. rostratus? O. lithobates?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Options

F. rostratus (3 males 7 females) + C. moori (2males 6females)
23%
F. rostratus (3 males 6 females) + P. phenochilus tanzania (3males 6 females)
15%
F. rostratus (3 males 7 females) + C. borleyi (2 males 6females)
8%
O. lithobates (3 males 7 females) +C. moori (3males 7females)
No votes
O. lithobates (3 males 7 females) +P. phenochilus (3males 7females)
8%
O. lithobates (3 males 7 females) + C. borleyi (3males 7females)
15%
F. rostratus (3 males 7 females) + O. lithobates (3 males 7 females)
15%
F. rostratus (4males 10 females)
No votes
O. Lithobates (6 males 12 females)
No votes
P. phenochilus (6 males 12 females)
15%

Total votes : 13

Postby Galli » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Man, you made this tough on me since my three favorite haps are O. lithobates, P. phenochilus and C. borleyi. I flipped a coin and went with O. lithobates and P. phenochilus, though I do admit it will be a very blue tank.
Galli

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby bigfishferd » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11 am

I would go with 3 species, the rostratus, phenochilus, and borleyi (kadango) for some red coloration. Being you are a blue fan I am thinking rostratus or lithobates along with the pheno and moorii. I'd use a tan sand with a few large piles of rock and a few tall plants that the fish seem to enjoy. Just my opinion though. Good luck !
75g-FH
55g-growout
40g-growout
bigfishferd

Postby bigfishferd » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:26 pm

Orca wrote:Thanks for the opinion. Is that a pic of your rostratus. That's a nice looking fish. How big is it. I've never kept them so, I'm wondering how long a 3-4 inch male would take to color up? I could get adults, but I find raising juvies helps with male aggression, plus keeps cost down.

Yes, that rostratus is mine, thanks for the complement on him. He is 7".

You can see more of him here:[url]https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=138189&highlight=[/url]

Sexing these fish at 3-4 inch is very difficult, if not impossible. Most will need to be at least 6" to see some male traits emerging IME.

You could purchase 8 to 12 juvies and let nature take its course, or try to get sub/adults which can be in the male/female ratio you prefer while being less costly than adults.
John
180g-F.rostratus 1m, B.nototaenia 1m, P.phenochilus 1m,P.spilonotus(Tanz.)1m, O.lithobates 1m, P.milomo 1m, N.fuscotaeniatus 1m, P.taeniolatus 1m, D.strigatus 1m, C.borleyi 1m, A.baenschi 1m
75g-FH
55g-growout
40g-growout
bigfishferd

Postby bigfishferd » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Orca wrote:what size did you get him at, and how long did it take for him to get to that size? I've been told from 3-4 inches it will take a year.

Thats about right.

My male was 3" at time of purchase, took him 15 months to reach 7".
John
180g-F.rostratus 1m, B.nototaenia 1m, P.phenochilus 1m,P.spilonotus(Tanz.)1m, O.lithobates 1m, P.milomo 1m, N.fuscotaeniatus 1m, P.taeniolatus 1m, D.strigatus 1m, C.borleyi 1m, A.baenschi 1m
75g-FH
55g-growout
40g-growout
bigfishferd

Postby Duarte101 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:45 pm

orca i have 4m/26 f lithobates and ill worn u know its a big mistake only 1 male will be colored up while the others just looks like females with a faint blaze imo i would do Rostratus and the phenochilus tanzania or just a Rostratus tank I've heard that Rostratus school so basicly in a 250gal tank a school of Rostratus would be nice to look at and fun to watch good luck and keep us posted with before after pics :D
Duarte101

Return to Lake Malawi Species