Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New Mbuna Tank Advice

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Smeagol 
#1 ·
Hi all! I am planning my first mbuna tank and have been trying to decide on which varieties to put in the tank and have a few questions, I'm hoping someone might be able to give some advice.

Do you want to stock the tank for juveniles or for what the tank will be with adults? Reason says that you could stock more juveniles but would have to remove / rehome some as they get larger.

I have been considering yellow labs, yellow tail acei, rusty, red zebra, and maingano for the tank. Would this be a good combination for a 75g 48"x18" tank?

I have read different recommendations for male to female ratios. I am considering 2 male to 4 female ratio, thoughts on that plan.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

#2 ·
In a 75G that is 48x18 think in terms of 20 fish with 1m:4f of each depending on your species. Maingano for example would be 1m:7f. Six species I would not do unless I had a 72" tank, and truthfully I prefer 5 species in a 72" tank.

Most often only juvenile mbuna are available so that's what we base recommendations on.

Two males is not ideal because they have no one to focus aggression on but each other. Many of the fish on your list females look just as good as males, so 1m and 4-7 females helps manage aggression. Your labs and acei MAY tolerate multiple males but your others are not likely to be happy with more than one male in the tank.

Don't mix yellow labs and red zebras as they crossbreed.

#7 ·
I have the same tank as you (48" 75 gal). I have yellow labs, yellow-tail acei, and maingano. Don't ask my m:f ratios because I have no idea. (Well, I have some idea, but I'm far from certain.) I have 22 fish total, if you count 2 baby yellow labs that were born mid-June and seem to be surviving just fine (so far). The tank has been stocked since March. Surprisingly, the maingano have not been any trouble at all. My acei and yellow labs are both much more aggressive than my maingano (again, so far). Go figure!

Reactions: DJLane
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.