Lake Malawi Species • All male peacock tank + other fish (75 gallon)

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

All male peacock tank + other fish (75 gallon)

Postby ruturaj1989 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:07 pm

Finally decided to start a malawi peacock tank in my 75. I decided to go for overstocking route.
Sorry about the names, I didn't get scientific names of all (most were labeled as assorted peacocks) but they all look little different from each other even if I have added them as same color.

I got 12 peacocks so far
2 albino
1 dragon blood
2 unknown red
2 unknown blue
1 sunshine yellow
2 OB
1 mix of red blue
1 mix of orange blue

I got two haps as well
1 red empress (probably female and will go away if so)
1 electric blue

Some peaceful mbunas
4 yellow labs
1 yellow tail acei
1 yellow lab x kennyi (hybrid but peaceful so far)

And controversial fish
2 blood parrots
2 bn plecos (1 albino + 1 standard)

I am trying to keep it less expensive, so nothing more than $15-$16. Any suggestions so far on stocking? I will thin out or add more fish as required.

Water parameters
pH 7.8
KH 3-4 degree
GH 8 degree
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
ruturaj1989

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: All male peacock tank + other fish (75 gallon)

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Some of this will be a repeat from another forum where this was discussed.

Empress is too big. Kenyi is too aggressive. I like 12 adults for an overstocked 75G all male so I would not add fish, even without the blood parrots.

The dragon blood and red peacock may view each other as competitors...both in the red/pink family. Two OBs may view each other as competitors. Two albinos. Several blues and blue mixes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ruturaj1989 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks. Empress will go away then, I am 99% sure it's female. I will move her on next water change.

The kennyi hybrid hasn't been aggressive yet, he is biggest one. I think it might have temper of yellow lab. I will watch him and remove him if needed.

I will watch which one targets which one and depending on that remove bully. All fish are about 2 inches, so not much aggression yet. Right now a male yellow lab is most agressive.

I can't rehome parrots as they are my girlfriends and she would re-home me if I talk about rehoming them again.
ruturaj1989

Postby ruturaj1989 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 pm

I already got rid of all pure kennyi since your advice.
ruturaj1989

Postby Auballagh » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 am

ruturaj1989 wrote:I can't rehome parrots as they are my girlfriends and she would re-home me if I talk about rehoming them again.

-
Whew.... totally understand the problem. :)
-
But, those Hybridized, New World Cichlids just don't belong in that African based tank! My recommendation would be too place the Blood Parrots in their OWN tank. That way, they can provide the absolute, visual focal point of all that glorious, non-stop Parrot Action for the aquarium show that your girlfriend seems to enjoy so much. :D
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby sir_keith » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:13 am

ruturaj1989 wrote: ...I can't rehome parrots as they are my girlfriends and she would re-home me if I talk about rehoming them again...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sir_keith

Postby ruturaj1989 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:38 pm

Auballagh wrote:
ruturaj1989 wrote:I can't rehome parrots as they are my girlfriends and she would re-home me if I talk about rehoming them again.

-
Whew.... totally understand the problem. :)
-
But, those Hybridized, New World Cichlids just don't belong in that African based tank! My recommendation would be too place the Blood Parrots in their OWN tank. That way, they can provide the absolute, visual focal point of all that glorious, non-stop Parrot Action for the aquarium show that your girlfriend seems to enjoy so much. :D

I got them as potential tank mates for flowerhorn which didn't work. So she put those in 40 gallon, now they have grown in a year, that's why her affection. I will try them with peacocks for now and when it starts causing issue I can get another tank for them.
ruturaj1989

Postby ruturaj1989 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:44 pm

DJRansome wrote:The dragon blood and red peacock may view each other as competitors...both in the red/pink family. Two OBs may view each other as competitors. Two albinos. Several blues and blue mixes.

My thought process was fish don't know how exactly they look but rather have species instinct on how they look. So a hybrid or albino might one of the pure species as rival.

Right now both albino look exactly the same but others have a lot variation.

The 4 I received yesterday (before posting this thread and they are already in list), have adult color at inch or 2.5 inch size, which worries me if they were fed hormones, if so are they truly males and how long would they live. Right now no fish in particular is causing any problem. I am moving red empress female on weekend or so.

I might rehome a pelco as well as I sure don't need 2 for 75 gallon. I think both are female (my preference) but if smaller one turns out to be male I would rehome it.

I will add some pictures or videos soon.
ruturaj1989

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:33 pm

Its a good theory (the fish don't know how they look) but the cautions are being provided based on experience with how the fish act.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:49 pm

ruturaj1989 wrote:...My thought process was fish don't know how exactly they look but rather have species instinct on how they look. So a hybrid or albino might one of the pure species as rival...

Species-typical behaviors are neurologically determined traits with a complex genetic basis. There is absolutely no way to anticipate how any given interspecific hybrid will behave towards either of its parental species, or for that matter, towards anything else. And to complicate matters even further, each individual hybrid fish will be different, because there is no way to know how much of the behavioral program it inherited from each parent, or how these divergent programs might interact. Yet another reason why interspecific hybrids are a very bad idea. :(
sir_keith

Postby ruturaj1989 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:27 pm

DJRansome wrote:Its a good theory (the fish don't know how they look) but the cautions are being provided based on experience with how the fish act.

sir_keith wrote:
ruturaj1989 wrote:...My thought process was fish don't know how exactly they look but rather have species instinct on how they look. So a hybrid or albino might one of the pure species as rival...

Species-typical behaviors are neurologically determined traits with a complex genetic basis. There is absolutely no way to anticipate how any given interspecific hybrid will behave towards either of its parental species, or for that matter, towards anything else. And to complicate matters even further, each individual hybrid fish will be different, because there is no way to know how much of the behavioral program it inherited from each parent, or how these divergent programs might interact. Yet another reason why interspecific hybrids are a very bad idea. :(

Thank you guys, appreciate your input.

Agree, there is no way to predict how hybrid would behave, seems like OB are hybrid of hap and peacock (Jason from prime time aquatics accidently created few). I am going to start rehoming fish as they become problem. I guess I would end up giving them away for free as my other past fish, might give red impress a little longer till it becomes an issue as well. It will be hard catching it anyway.
ruturaj1989

Postby ruturaj1989 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 am

I decided to not keep all 4 yellow labs, acei and one of the two bristle nose plecos. Giving them away (already moved yellow labs and acei to spare tank).

Hybrid mbuna is still there as it is least aggressive fish, even it is larger than most peacocks. Peacocks don't pay any attention to him/her and vice versa. I will donate him if it start showing any.
ruturaj1989

Return to Lake Malawi Species