Lake Malawi Species • How do you know if they are dead?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

How do you know if they are dead?

Postby JimSparks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 am

Hello

I have had some issues with my new mbuna tank. I think things are pretty settled down now. There are 4 (1:3) rusties, 4 (1:3) Pseudotropheus socolofi "mara point", 5 (1:4 I think) yellow labs, 1 (M I think) Cynotilapia afra (jalo reef), 1 albino ancistrus, and 6 petricola. My question is, how do you know if a fish is dead with all of these rocks in there? The Afras were very small (1" ish) compared to the 2" to 3" size for the other mbunas. I was down to one, which I believe to be the male. He was out and about and eating and I saw him regularly. I haven't seen him in a few days, even at feeding time. I've seen all of the socolofi out at once and all of the labs out at once. I've seen the rusties out but not to a point where I can count all 4 of them.

I've yet to see all 6 petricola out at once, but to be fair they are only about an inch or so long. So maybe they are hiding. THe bulk of the mbuna stay to the right side rock grouping. I see a couple trend toward the opposite side. But not much. This is a 75 gallon tank with lots of rock. 3 canister filters running, an airstone (as much as I hate bubble in a tank the fish seem to like it) and a power head to keep the water moving well.

So how do you know a fish is dead and stuck in the rocks somewhere? There are no "floaters". Do you just assume that if you haven't seen a fish in a few days it may be dead and break the rocks down to try to find everyone?

Thank you
Jim
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How do you know if they are dead?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 am

For the mbuna if you don't see every fish eating every day, after a couple of days I would remove the decor. Sounds like for you it is more than one possibly missing?

For the catfish I have removed the decor to check on them so often...even after weeks of not seeing them, and they are always fine.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

JimSparks wrote: ...Do you just assume that if you haven't seen a fish in a few days it may be dead and break the rocks down to try to find everyone?...

Yes. You don't want a carcass lying about.
sir_keith

Postby JimSparks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:30 pm

DJRansome wrote:...Sounds like for you it is more than one possibly missing?

1 Afra and maybe a rusty. I've seen 3 of them together swimming around. All the others seem to be intact and doing well. I forgot how frustrating a mbuna tank can be when you first start it up :?
JimSparks

Return to Lake Malawi Species