Lake Malawi Species • Multiple species of Placidochromis in 125

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Multiple species of Placidochromis in 125

Postby eric1115 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Now that most of the MBuna are gone, the remaining Yellow Lab, the Venustus and one of the OB are getting aggressive. Give it a day or two I might have to remove them I guess.
eric1115

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm

There will always be, and has to be a tank boss. If that fish is the boss, without damaging other fish, or having them all on one side of the tank, or in the corner, consider that a victory.
Fogelhund

Postby eric1115 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 pm

No one at the corner yet or hiding yet, everyone one still swimming, just the the chasing other fish away from time to time, especially during eating. No female yet, but I am a little concern for the Protomelas Spilonotus Mara Rock. It was eating fine until yesterday. Today it’s been less active and not eating. Not sure if I stressed it when I was catching all the MBuna yesterday since I had to remove all the rocks. I don’t see anyone harassing it. It kind of just stay at the center of the tank floating and didn’t even swim to me when I feed.
eric1115

Postby eric1115 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi
I decided to move out most of my fish, so the only one I have now are
2 male OB peacock both 5 inch
1 male yellow lab 4 inch
1 male venustus, I think 3 inch
1 make Fusco I think 3 inch
1 Protomelas Spilonotus Mara Rock male 5 inch
1 Red Shoulder Peacock male
1 German Red Peacock male 5 inch
1 Blue Dolphin Morrii male I think 4.5 inch
1 Red Empress male I think
1 Albino Taiwan Reef no idea male or female
1 Taiwan Reef male I think
1 Redfin Boyeri - might have Popeyes right now.
1 Placidochromis StarcSapphire 2.5inch

That makes it 14 fish right now. I want to add these fish 4-6 inches

Placidochromis Electra 5 inch
Placidochromis Phenochilus MDoka 5 inch
Placidochromis Johnstoni - 4 inch
Placidochromis VC 10 - 5 inch
Dimidichromis Compressiceps Albino - 5 inch

Do you think it will work? Is there fish I need to move out?

I know with all make tank it’s work in progress but I want to start with something that has high chance of working.

Thanks
eric1115

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 pm

From Fogelhund in your other post, this applies to the above list: In the Haps tank, it's probable that the albinos won't compete that well with the other fish.

I like 18 if they mature <= six inches...stock by mature size, not current size. You have lots of fish on that list that mature > six inches, so 14 might be a good number. Or even 12.

IME the empress and borleyi look alike. Maybe swap one of them for the electra and call it stocked.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eric1115 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 pm

What is I take out the Boyeri, Taiwan Reef, Yellow Lab, Venustus and Fusco? Can I add the 4 Placidochromis? Would that work?

The fish I really want are the 5 Placidochromis, the Mara Rock and the Dolphin. The rest I am willing to restock based on these 7 fish if there’s a way to work.

Thanks
eric1115

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 am

No one can guarantee that it will work or that it won't work. You said you want a high chance of it working. Personally I would try my best to have only one Placidochromis. I would skip the VC-10 entirely since it is a 11" fish that is at least mildly aggressive.

Fish that are more closely related are more risky. The star sapphire and the Mdoka are an example because they are both Placidochromis phenochilus. Both are peaceful so they might coexist. One or both might not color. Maybe some with more experience with the big haps will chime in.

Also you now have/will have a lot of big haps in your tank, so maybe someone with big hap experience can chime in on stocking levels with fish larger than six inches.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eric1115 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:51 am

Ok, I will rethink my list then. One more thing, when I was over stocking before with all those fish, there was very little aggression or chasing but now that I took most of the fish out, few of the big boys are getting quite aggressive and the German Red took the right side of the tank and chasing everyone to the left. The big OB, Protomelas and the Venustus are all getting more aggressive, chasing everyone.

Is this normal?

Thanks
eric1115

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm

OB yes because there are two...ideally you would have one of each and no look-alike fish. Plus OB is a hybrid (part mbuna) so naturally more aggressive than some other peacocks.

German red can be on the wimpy side among peacocks, so that is unusual IME.

Venustus and Spilonotus are expected to be more aggressive than star sapphire and the dolphin. So yes, expected for more aggressive fish to chase the less aggressive.

Monitor, manage. Once you have a mix that should work, monitor for a while to see if things will settle down (as long as there are no injuries and no fish are lurking under the surface or behind heaters and filter intakes) and then make changes as required.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm

eric1115 wrote:What is I take out the Boyeri, Taiwan Reef, Yellow Lab, Venustus and Fusco? Can I add the 4 Placidochromis? Would that work?

The fish I really want are the 5 Placidochromis, the Mara Rock and the Dolphin. The rest I am willing to restock based on these 7 fish if there’s a way to work.

Thanks

Let me ask you this question... out of all of the fish that you will keep, which one do you want to be at it's best the most? That is the critical question, because that is what you build your tank around... that fish has to be the dominant fish in the tank... so you will have the decision, who is too dominant for that fish, and am I willing to make changes to accommodate them? So which fish is the one that you want at it's best?
Fogelhund

Postby eric1115 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Does it have to be one fish or more than one?
Ideally the Placidochromis is my most favorite, but I don’t want a single specie tank either.
eric1115

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Which placidochromis?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eric1115 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Mdoka and Electra?
eric1115

Postby eric1115 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:35 pm

I think, I might have to rethink my list anyway. This morning I woke up to multiple fish lost and few that might have the bloat. Not sure if it’s due to the stress or aggression from me moving all them between tanks.

All the water tested ok, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate in the 125, 0,0, 10 in the 100.

I lost the female Red Empress, the Placidochromis Star Sapphire, the Venustus, Ruby Red, Taiwan Reef,Protomelas Spilonotus Mara Rock, and the Boyeri looks to have Popeye and Dropsy.

After reading a lot of forum posts and video, I wonder if I just have the wrong stock list, size differences and aggression level. I think my fish sizes and aggression might be too drastic and it was not a problem when I was overstocked by a lot before but once I separated these fishes into two different tanks, the aggression increase and magnified due to less fish in each tank. Again just my speculation since I am new to this. Since everything has been fine for months and then the sudden death after lowering the stocking.

In my 125, all I have left are

The German Red- I think it might be a hybrid from watching videos, hence the aggression level
2 OB peacock
Red Shoulder
Albino Taiwan Reef
yellow lab
venustus
Fusco
Protomelas Spilonotus Mara Rock
Blue Dolphin Morrii
Red Empress

i think at this point, I am just going to hold off and see how the current fish will work out and let them grow to similar size first. I will move some of the the OB and Peacocks to the other tank once that tank stabalize and just keep these fish in my 125.

Once all the Fish all get to 4 inches + and given they are all mild to aggressive, I will order these to add to the tank all 4-6 inches and made the final list as the below, can you tell me if this will work?

German Red hybrid?
Venustus
Albino Taiwan Reef
Fusco
Protomelas Spilonotus Mara Rock
Blue Dolphin Morrii
Red Empress
OB peacock
Chrysti
VC 10
Malawi Gar
Compressicep
Placidochromis Electra

This will made total of 13 fish all mild to aggressive. Would all fish between 4 - 6 inch work? I really like the MDoka Whitelip but I think it might be too peaceful, so I give up on it.

Sorry for all these questions and appreciate your patient and time to help a newbie.
eric1115

Postby eric1115 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Oh one more question, I kept seeing on YouTube and read in forum about grow out tank. Can you help me understand how it work?

If it just getting a spare tank and put few juveniles of different Haps in there, grow them up as backfill for the main tank in case some fish doesn’t work?

Do you start with sexed male for the grow out tank or unsex then weed them out?
How do you pick the species for the grow out tank? Just different fish thank what is in the main tank?

Thanks again
eric1115

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species