Lake Malawi Species • Demasoni paled

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Demasoni paled

Postby ironspider » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 am

I had two Demasoni's in my 55 gal along with a bunch of rusties, blues, yellows etc. One of the Demasoni's died. He was the tough one, not a tank boss, but nobody messed with him and he used to bother the other one (remaining one). I called him Zed, unfortunately Zed's dead now. He was really colored up, the blue was bright and the black was black, super pretty fish. The other one wasn't so bright but still a pretty fish. Now that Zed's dead, the other one is so pale. the blue isn't bright and the black looks washed out. I figured the remaining one would've colored up since Zed is gone and there is nobody to bother him. The tank bosses don't mess with him/her so I'm not sure why he's paled so much. Any ideas?

I miss Zed so much that I'm considering getting another Demasoni but my tank is so stacked I'm not sure adding a fish is a good idea. Regardless of that, will adding a juvenile Demasoni be a problem with the remaining one that is 2 years old?

And another note on digging. My tank bosses are both Cobalt Blue, each for one side of the tank. Everytime I flatten the sand out, it takes only an hour for the main Boss (Max) to totally destroy it. I think him and I are at war now! After two years the digging has really gone crazy.
ironspider

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Demasoni paled

Postby DJRansome » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:31 am

He feels that he (or she) is at the bottom of the pecking order. Adding another has a high risk of making it worse, not better.

Maybe the demasoni is intimidated by the battle of the cobalts, just coloring down to be inconspicuous so they don't notice and attack him? Taking out one of those cobalt males may calm the whole tank and make the demasoni feel safer.

What are the numbers and genders in the rest of the tank?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ironspider » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

DJRansome wrote:He feels that he (or she) is at the bottom of the pecking order. Adding another has a high risk of making it worse, not better.

Maybe the demasoni is intimidated by the battle of the cobalts, just coloring down to be inconspicuous so they don't notice and attack him? Taking out one of those cobalt males may calm the whole tank and make the demasoni feel safer.

What are the numbers and genders in the rest of the tank?

4 cobalt 2 males, 2 females I think. +1 baby maybe 3 months old
2 yellow tail acai, not sure of the sex
3 yellow labs, 2 male one female
1 Demasoni, no idea
Rusties. There are so many now as they had been multiplying and many survived from the batch around 6-8 months ago (lost the mom). Probably 8 or so. (I need to get rid of some)

It's not normally an aggressive tank, the Cobalt does assert his dominance over his area but it's not like he's chasing others around. I can't take out either of those Cobalts, they are big and gorgeous.
ironspider

Postby DJRansome » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

OK well then I would not change anything. Well I would stock 3 species with 1m:4f of each and no demasoni. But if the cobalts are the most dominant and you are not willing to change that, then I don't see anything else helping your demasoni.

The cobalts each asserting dominance over half the tank is an aggression issue.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ironspider » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:37 am

I started with 3 species, cobalt, rusty, yellow. I got bored very quickly.
ironspider

Return to Lake Malawi Species