General African Cichlid Discussion • 1, 2, 3, to the Fry...What should I do, Oh My!

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

1, 2, 3, to the Fry...What should I do, Oh My!

Postby TuFish » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:46 am

Good Morning. I have 3 AC's (2 Peacocks & 1 Yellow Lab) holding. All 3 are currently in my 125 African Cichlid aquarium with approximately 20 other alike ACs. Approximately 2 months ago the yellow lab was holding so I setup a 10 gal and put it inside the 125 tank in an effort to protect the fry. That has worked out great. The fry are doing well and are around 1" to 1.5" (9 total Yellow Lab fry). 1st Question, should I put all 3 holding ACs in the 10gal until they spit out the fry? Or setup another tank, perhaps a 15 or 20 gallon as a "grow-out". Final Option, I have 3 White Calvus (1.5 to 2"s) in my 29 gallon Tanganyikan "grow-out" aquarium until they get larger; then they will be going into a 55 Gal set-up. Basically, I was not expecting any fish to have Fry so fast, definitely not 3 at once. Recommendations please? Thanks in advance.
TuFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 1, 2, 3, to the Fry...What should I do, Oh My!

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:03 am

Let the mom's spit in the adult tank. With multiple peacock species and an assortment of african cichlids in the same tank, your risk for hybrids is high. If you want to raise peacocks and/or yellow labs eventually, get several maternity and fry tanks set up and cycled, and revise the stock in your 125G so that your species are in large breeding groups chosen to minimize crossbreeding. One species of peacock in the tank with one male and lots of females of the same species for example.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion