General African Cichlid Discussion • Tank mates that won't cross breed for Acei

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Tank mates that won't cross breed for Acei

Postby Ozzyguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi all. I have been breeding fish for many years but never kept Africans. I picked up a small colony of 5 small Acei that have just started breeding. Im starting with a 55 gal tank but know I will likely need to upgrade in the future for the adult Acei.

My question is, what can I keep without the risk of hybrid fry with the acei. Im thinking rustys and saulosi but wanted to double check that they won't breed together.

Thanks heaps in advance. :fish:
Ozzyguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank mates that won't cross breed for Acei

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Those should work. But if the acei are breeding now, time for the upgrade is now.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ozzyguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 pm

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

They have only just started breeding but not very large yet. It's actually a 3 tier 4 ft rack so there is a spare 55g for the fry under it as well as other tanks around my fish room.
Ozzyguy

Postby sir_keith » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Ozzyguy wrote:Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

They have only just started breeding but not very large yet. It's actually a 3 tier 4 ft rack so there is a spare 55g for the fry under it as well as other tanks around my fish room.

Sounds good to me. :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby BC in SK » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:51 am

Ozzyguy wrote:My question is, what can I keep without the risk of hybrid fry

Are you going to be there to witness the spawning act?
If you actually want to be 100% certain that no hybridization has taken place with out observing the act then definitely NO other Malawi cichlids! Most certainly no other mbuna as they can all easily crossbreed. Really, if you want to completely eliminate the slight chance of hybridization then no other Haplochromines should be in the tank. Bear in mind that it is fairly typical behavior for Malawi females to breed with more then one male in a single spawning. Seen it with my own eye with Demasoni in my 75 gal. and it has been observed and reported, many times, in lake Malawi. Not inconceivable that female Malawi breed with males of different species in the same spawn!
I guess it depends on how certian you want to be that your not producing hybrids. For breeding, species tank is probably the way to go. But if you want other fish in the tank, a substrate spawner or Tilapine probably has a zero chance of hybridizing with a Haplochromine.
As an example, people on this forum have reported a demasoni X yellow lab cross even when both sexes of both species were in the tank. Certainly, pretty much any Malawi Haplochromine can cross with another Malawi Haplochromine, and those from other lakes have also been known to occasionally cross.
BC in SK

Postby Ozzyguy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:42 am

Well no, I won't be there to watch them and tell them off if they attempt to breed with the wrong type. I breed alpt of L numbers and now discus so very committed to breeding pure line fish. That is why when my research didn't give a decent answer I came to the experts.

I was told by close friends acei and salousi won't cross breed and from what I read rustys would fit too. I'm a self confessed African newbie. I also read that pseudotropheus was also used for species that may not be related that aren't properly scientific described as yet. Just trying to do the right thing here.
Ozzyguy

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 am

BC is right. It depends on how certain you want to be. Mbuna will crossbreed, but chances are greater when there are too many males and not enough females of their own species in the tank and there will be less chance of crossbreeding if the species are as different as possible and there are few males and lots of females for every species group.

Nothing wrong with the advice you were given in your last paragraph except for the word "won't". Not likely to cross breed would be more accurate.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:54 pm

Ozzyguy wrote:Well no, I won't be there to watch them and tell them off if they attempt to breed with the wrong type. I breed alpt of L numbers and now discus so very committed to breeding pure line fish. That is why when my research didn't give a decent answer I came to the experts.

I was told by close friends acei and salousi won't cross breed and from what I read rustys would fit too. I'm a self confessed African newbie. I also read that pseudotropheus was also used for species that may not be related that aren't properly scientific described as yet. Just trying to do the right thing here.

Indeed, there is no such thing as "won't" cross breed with Malawi cichlids. There is just more likely, and less likely. I also wouldn't get hung up on Genus being the determinant for hybridization. It seems that Metriaclima/Maylandia estherae and Labidochromis caeruleus are one of the most likely to hybridize mbuna.

With available males,and multiple females, your fish selection list suggests a very low probability of hybridization. Further to this, the species are far enough apart, that in the low probability that they do hybridize, it shouldn't be hard to pick out in the fry.

Just my experience, but Rusties aren't as passive as they are often presented, nor as attractive. White Labidochromis types can be hard to find, but probably a better mix, if you can find them.
Fogelhund

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion