Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Compatible? New to hobby

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 29gallon tank, and so far have the following fish:
1 Pseudotropheus crabro (female i believe)
1 Nimbochromis venustus (female i believe)
2 Pseudotropheus saulosi (1 male/1 female)

So far they seem ok with each other; but the person at the pet store didn't seem know know much. Are these fish compatible with each other, and what other stocking options do I have?

Thanks,
John Clax

#2 ·
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

The crabro need a tank that is 48x18 or larger.

The venustus need a tank that is 72" long or longer.

The saulosi could possibly do well in a 30" tank (really pushing the envelope) but I would add 3 females to spread the male aggression. In a pair the male has a good chance of killing the female when they mature in 6-12 months.

#3 ·
Ok, thank you for the help. I'll search for a bigger thank for the crabro and the venustus (would they be ok together in a 72"?) Any other recommended tank mates or more females of the same species?
I'll keep the Saulosi in the 30" tank for now and will add more females and just keep an eye on everyone.

#4 ·
I would not choose crabro to be a good tank mate for venustus, but I have never tried it so cannot recommend the combo. I would expect the crabro to be too aggressive for the venustus. Typically haps like venustus are happier with other haps and peacocks as opposed to mbuna like crabro.

Know that the crabro loses it's bumblebee appearance when it matures.

I would rehome either the crabro or the venustus. Venustus males are more colorful than the females...they mature at 11". I would add at least 3 females and 1 male to see the colors in the 72" tank. You could add a peacock species harem, and another hap species harem in a 72" tank...maybe more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.