General African Cichlid Discussion • Are all peacock cichlids hybrids aggressive?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Are all peacock cichlids hybrids aggressive?

Postby BigBeardDaHuzi » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 am

OBs and Dragonblood peacocks are known to be more aggressive. Is this true of all peacock hybrids? For example, I saw a "Red Sun" the other day that was stunning. It was a mix of a Sunshine peacock and a Red Rubin, I believe. It had an innocent face, but I am curious if that is true.
BigBeardDaHuzi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Are all peacock cichlids hybrids aggressive?

Postby ken31cay » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:09 am

I've had OB's, 'Dragonbloods', 'Firefish', and the males have all been more aggressive than non-hybrid peacocks. The females had a much less aggressive temperament. I believe OB's are a peacock/mbuna mix and so can be more aggressive, while the Dragonbloods & Firefish are line-bred peacocks so might be less aggressive than OB's? The male OB's that I've had were some of the most aggressive in my tanks.

Hopefully someone else will post with more information on the subject.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Re: Are all peacock cichlids hybrids aggressive?

Postby DJRansome » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Every fish can be different, but hybrids can often be more aggressive than pure fish.

An exception might be albino fish which are usually hybrids but are sometimes more on the timid side.

I would expect any hybrid to be more aggressive than the pure fish, but nothing is 100%.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion