General African Cichlid Discussion • Mixed African Cichlid Tank Temperature Question

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Mixed African Cichlid Tank Temperature Question

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Hello,

My 90 gallon Mix Africans (Mostly Mbunas) temp is currently running between 82-83 degrees in Summer days. My room temp is at 75 on avg but I believe tank being located some what close to a window and painted black background and constant 3 running filters and power heads is causing the temp go up to 82-83 in summer days. Now I know this is on high end temp for Africans and the fish are doing fine, healthy, eating well and good colors. Is it worth to Invest into an aquarium chiller or you guys think they will be fine around 82/83 degrees? Is there any major negative health impact for them in a long run? I expect temps around 80 for winter times. Your Thoughts?
farzadkavari

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixed African Cichlid Tank Temperature Question

Postby sir_keith » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:54 pm

If you could get the temperature down a few degrees easily- like pulling shades down in a window or turning the lights off- sure, but I wouldn't fuss with a chiller for an 82-83 degree tank. :fish:
sir_keith

Postby Deeda » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Do you have a glass canopy on the tank, if so, open one or both of the front lids to allow some tank heat to escape. You may want to add some egg crate light grid to the openings to deter jumping.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:11 pm

sir_keith wrote:If you could get the temperature down a few degrees easily- like pulling shades down in a window or turning the lights off- sure, but I wouldn't fuss with a chiller for an 82-83 degree tank. :fish:

Trust me I've tried to cool it down by leaving the lights off and setting my room temp to 74. The window is a but small but shines on back of the tank which is black paint so that does not help, also have 3 filters and 3 power heads running 24/7 which I think is the main reason. I even put cool water in when doing WC but after a day it goes back up to 82/83.
farzadkavari

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 pm

farzadkavari

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Deeda wrote:Do you have a glass canopy on the tank, if so, open one or both of the front lids to allow some tank heat to escape. You may want to add some egg crate light grid to the openings to deter jumping.

I've thought about that but currently have 2 24" light strips on top that I dont want to remove them cause tank will be dark/depressing and ugly to be honest. :)
farzadkavari

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 pm

I guess my main question IS will cichlids by ok with 82/83 degree health wise in a long run?
farzadkavari

Postby Deeda » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Aren't your glass canopy sections hinged in the front? I used to just open the front sections on mine and left the larger rear sections in place with the light strips on top.

Yes your cichlids will be OK health wise at the higher temperature, no need to worry as long as you have good water movement.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby farzadkavari » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Im always scares to move the glass off the top, I've had few of tjem jump out and die before. Also i have 2 light strips on top so Cant really move the glass. Its pretty sealed up on top to prevent jumping
farzadkavari

Postby DJRansome » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:15 pm

You may find their metabolism is faster than fish kept at 78 degrees, and their life span may be a little less than average but not a huge problem. What about blinds on the window?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:49 am

farzadkavari wrote:I guess my main question IS will cichlids by ok with 82/83 degree health wise in a long run?

Yes.
sir_keith

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion