General African Cichlid Discussion • Stocking idea for a Cichlid community tank // 40G

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Re: Stocking idea for a Cichlid community tank // 40G

Postby shiftyfox » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:59 am

If your doing saulosi go for 3 males and 9 females, with some luck you may be able to get more than one male to colour up.
I like at least 2 hiding spots per fish if not more.
shiftyfox

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby aconite » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 am

If you don't like the golden yellow of the female saulosi you could look into the coral red ones. They're a much deeper orange. I've got a mixture of both types, and if I could go back and start again I'd probably stick to only the coral reds.

However, there are questions over whether or not the reds are natural, or hybridised for the colour, if that sort of thing is an issue for you.
aconite

Postby ken31cay » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am

OuiBonjour wrote:It's funny how my 36" was considered ridiculously too big for Tanganyka shellies, but is almost an offical no-go for most Malawi and Victoria lakes cichlids!

Is this really what you heard? Being able to fit more fish into a given tank I understand but I don't see how any standard sized tank could be "too big" for any fish when you take into account their natural habitat.

I'm a big proponent of large tanks. The larger the better is what I think, in order to maximize the fishes' natural behavior. Even if you do manage to put some Malawi into the 36" without being frustrated to no end, what satisfaction do you expect to get from a tank like that. You might also say it's cruel to the fish.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby shiftyfox » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:29 am

Hold on a minute Ken, you could say it’s wrong to keep fish in any size tank no matter how big as it’s not their natural environment.
Fish were born to dwell in seas, rivers lakes with vast expanses of water not 4 glass walls.
So should we all pack this hobby in then..?
shiftyfox

Postby Mudkicker1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am

In my opinion, for even the smallest of the Malawi Cichlids, the minimum should be a 60 x 18 footprint. I personally have noticed a big difference in behaviour and aggression from 48" to 60".
They are aggressive, territorial and fast fish, they need space!
Obviously you can raise fry and juvies in smaller tanks, I am talking about adult size.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Mudkicker1

Postby ken31cay » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am

shiftyfox wrote:Hold on a minute Ken, you could say it’s wrong to keep fish in any size tank no matter how big as it’s not their natural environment.
Fish were born to dwell in seas, rivers lakes with vast expanses of water not 4 glass walls.

There's some truth in your statement, and the same thought did very briefly cross my mind recently when watching my Frontosa in my 450gal...

So should we all pack this hobby in then..?

That'll never happen and there's some species' preservation benefits that we need to be aware of.
ken31cay

Postby shiftyfox » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am

Not all of us have the space or funds for a 5 foot tank, but that should by no means rule us out of this hobby.
There’s no guarantees in any size tank that a fish won’t be bullied or even killed, I guess it just reduces the chances of that happening.
We would all love 10 foot tanks with wonderful colour combinations ect...
shiftyfox

Postby ken31cay » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:42 am

Mudkicker1 wrote:I personally have noticed a big difference in behaviour and aggression from 48" to 60".

I have seen this too.
ken31cay

Postby Mudkicker1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:55 am

shiftyfox wrote:Not all of us have the space or funds for a 5 foot tank, but that should by no means rule us out of this hobby.
There’s no guarantees in any size tank that a fish won’t be bullied or even killed, I guess it just reduces the chances of that happening.
We would all love 10 foot tanks with wonderful colour combinations ect...
Not out of the hobby, but maybe not cichlids from Malawi. I'm sure several tangs can thrive in a 48". I don't believe that any Malawi Cichlids can "thrive" in a 48. It's not cool to keep fish in conditions where they cannot thrive. I have juvie Afra in a 55 right now but I know that I need to get a 60" for them very soon.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Mudkicker1

Postby DJRansome » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:31 pm

OuiBonjour wrote:It's funny how my 36" was considered ridiculously too big for Tanganyka shellies, but is almost an offical no-go for most Malawi and Victoria lakes cichlids!

You have a lot of requirements other than Malawi or Victoria. Large fish, dramatic dorsal, "punk" look, lots of fish, don't eat fry, never have to rehome, etc. etc. etc. With all those filters there is not much left. No question a 48" tank would open up dozens of options...but you could find SOMETHING for a 36" tank.

I gave you one mbuna and one peacock that might work for a single species tank. Here is a Victorian: Christmas fulu. 1m:5f. One colored fish. No dramatic dorsal, not large, eats fry, may need to rehome extra males, etc.

Also I think 36" is ideal for shellies...I would just add a pair of calvus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby OuiBonjour » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:43 am

Hi guys! I wont be able to give an elaborate answer because I'm in camping, but I read all comments and I must admit you all had good points and convinced me away from getting mbunas and Saulosis in my 36".

So far I'm pretty sure I'll go with a Tanganyka tank. My main focus will be Brichardis, ut I'd like to incorpore Paracyps in this and MAYBE a Calvus or who know maybe some mini-Calvus shellies ?

I'll get back to you guys in a couple of days with morwe questions and details, but I wanted to let you guys know I opted out of Saulosis. Not for the size, but for the constant chasing between male and females and the stress and desparatiom that might occur.

Tangs will be the main choice. BRICHADIS the main one. The rest is open to discussion and suggestions!

Will be right back once back from camping!

I dont have time to elaborate, but all of your comments got to me and and I want to do it right. Ill get back to you soon with more questions, but Brichardis plus Paracyps would be my best starting point for now!
OuiBonjour

Postby james1983 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:44 am

Once the brichardi start breeding, they probably wont allow any other fish outside of the family. They've been given the "brichardi death squad" name for a reason.
james1983

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:05 am

Agree, the recommendation with brichardi would be a single species tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby OuiBonjour » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Okay thanks for the info.

So if I go with the Bricardis, I will keep them alone in their tank. How many should I get to start a colony, and what ratio ?

And if I go with with a community tank, do you have any suggestion of stocking that could include a few of these : Paracyps, Caudopunks, calvus and/or those calvus-shellies ?

OuiBonjour

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:35 pm

For brichardi, start with six, rehome four and the pair will tolerate their own fry to fill the tank.

One pair of calvus (start with six, rehome four), six multifasciatus and six paracyps.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion