General African Cichlid Discussion • Tanks cycling and stocking choices

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Tanks cycling and stocking choices

Postby DebraKay1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Tanks cycling and stocking choices
I just bought 150 gallon tank and is trying to cycle it now. Dimensions are 72“ x 18“ x 21“. I’m on my fourth day of cycling in the ammonia level is staying at two. Does this sound right? Do I need to add more ammonia? At what level do I want to keep the ammonia. I read the fish recycle article several times so I think I have it straight. But just want to make sure. As far as stocking goes I thought I would get one male to four females of H of the following. White lab, Maingano,metriacallainos,Acei,saulosi. I would really rather have yellow labs but I’m not sure they would get along with the Saulosi. I also want to get 4 Petricola.Any help you can give me I appreciate it.
DebraKay1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tanks cycling and stocking choices

Postby DebraKay1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:21 am

Sorry for all the spelling errors and grammar errors. I was trying to do this through the mic on my phone and it doesn’t always interpret my words properly. Also when it does come time to add my fish do I add them all at once?
DebraKay1

Postby Deeda » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Welcome to C-F!!

The ammonia level sounds correct to me if I remember. I just followed the Fish-less Cycling article from the C-F Library and kept the ammonia about 2ppm to 3ppm.

I'll let someone with more experience recommend which species to stock and the ratio of male to female.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm

I would add them all at once.

one male to four females of the following. White lab, Maingano,metriacallainos,Acei,saulosi. 4 Petricola.

I would get 5 petricola (really lucipinnis). 1m:7f of the maingano because they are aggressive. To me the acei and callainos are too similar in color...if you want contrasting species.

Consider dropping the callainos and doing 3m:9f of the saulosi to get more blue barred males.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DebraKay1 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks so much for the replies guys. It really helps me.
DebraKay1

Postby DebraKay1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 am

OK guys. I was planning to follow exactly what y’all advise me to do as far as stocking goes but I got to thinking I really do want the Callainos.Instead of getting rid of the Callainos how about I get rid of the Acei Instead. Would that work? Still haven’t fully decided. I’ll probably go with the way you suggested. But is there a reason you would get rid of that fish versus the other? Thanks a lot for your opinions. They helped me quite a bit.
DebraKay1

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:34 am

You could choose the callainos instead. They are more aggressive and blockier. shape..neither of which are bad and they should work fine in your tank. I like the somewhat periwinkle color of the acei and the sleeker shape.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DebraKay1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:14 pm

Thank you for your reply. Gosh I still don’t know what I’m going to do. I do like the Acei too.It’ll probably come down to the day that I’m ordering whatever hits me. We’ll see.
DebraKay1

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion