General African Cichlid Discussion • I made a mistake

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

I made a mistake

Postby SouthNarc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I made a mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I have a 75-gallon Mbuna tank with various juveniles in it. The good folks at my LFS sold me two beautiful fish that the resident "expert" said would go great in my Mbuna tank. However, after much research, the fish I bought are Neolamprologus tretocephalus; commonly known as five bars. These fish are from Lake Tanganyika. According to research, some articles say these fish will end up killing everything in my tank. I have not had any aggression as of yet. They seem to be getting along nicely with the other fish but this is probably due to the young age of the trets. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? Can I keep them in an Mbuna tank or do I need to be looking at a species-specific tank?

Thank you in advance,
SouthNarc
SouthNarc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I made a mistake

Postby DJRansome » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Even in a species tank experienced fishkeepers have trouble with trets. I would rehome, the LFS has to take some responsibility.

If you want to try trets in a species tank and have a spare 75G let us know how it goes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SouthNarc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Yikes.... Not what I wanted to hear. I will never buy another cichlid without first doing my research. I should not have taken that guys word but he has never led me wrong before. IDK why he did this time.
SouthNarc

Postby DJRansome » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm

IME local fish store employees don't mislead on purpose, but may not have enough experience with every fish they sell to always make good recommendations.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SouthNarc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Yes. That is what I meant. I know he didn't mislead me on purpose. I just wish he and I would have known. Ultimately it is my fault. I should have known better than to buy fish that I was unfamiliar with. But they are a couple of gorgeous fish.
SouthNarc

Postby noki » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Can you post a picture? Seems odd that they didn't know the name of them. If you have a breeding pair, that might be a problem for the tank. They might get territorial but they should kinda ignore the Mbuna other than chasing away from a territory. One Tretocephalus might kill the other, they may not tolerate each other in the same tank.

Major problems really don't start until cichlids become sexually mature.
noki

Postby SouthNarc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm

yes, the problem is one Tret is trying to kill the other. I had him in time out for a week to see if that would help. I placed him back in today and he went back to the same old behavior. I think I am going to have to take him back to the store. With just the one in the tank, everything was fine.
SouthNarc

Postby SouthNarc » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:53 pm

I ended up taking him back to the store. I hated to do it but its better for my tank.
SouthNarc

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion