General African Cichlid Discussion • Blue dophin Moorii Cichlid sex?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Blue dophin Moorii Cichlid sex?

Postby phillum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 am

hi,

I just got 3 blue dolphin cichlids was wondering on their sex? males or females? here are some pictures, they are about 5-6 inches each. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1229.JPG
Dolphin 1
IMG_1228.JPG
Dolphin 2
IMG_1227.JPG
Dolphin 3
phillum

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Blue dophin Moorii Cichlid sex?

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 am

All 3 appear to be male, though the last one is awfully fat!
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby phillum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Oh really? I was told they were all not male as these 3 were with one other confirmed male that was double the size at the same age. Also i looked at the anal fins for the first 2 and they appear to be shorter rounded and not pointy not past the tail fin and long like my other males in the tank? the fatter one anal fin is slightly longer and past the tail but still pretty rounded compared to the males.

Do females usually get this big? they are around 2 years old and slightly bigger than the males in the tank but not by much. Thats why i was confused with these 3. Hoping to be able to breed them with my slightly smaller males, thanks!
phillum

Postby phillum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Here are pictures of 2 of my males and a better picture of the fatter one. Also have a 3rd male as well.
Attachments
IMG_1233.JPG
male 1
IMG_1245.JPG
male 2
IMG_1242.JPG
big dolphin
phillum

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:25 pm

The last one has had his fins shredded, not unusual with this species. Once they grow back out, it will be obvious that he is a male.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion