General African Cichlid Discussion • Ever heard of a Parrot mating with African Cichlid?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Ever heard of a Parrot mating with African Cichlid?

Postby 01722 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 pm

I have a two part question here. My Parrot just laid eggs (thought she was male for the last 4 years) and she is housed in an otherwise all male African Peacock tank. Any chance an African will fertilize them? So far she is defending the area from all other fish. None of the males appear to be helping with this so I'm guessing the eggs will eventually decay or be eaten. I'm concerned she could get ick or some other stress related sickness after. Is this not a big deal or is there something I should do afterwards?
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks
30G 3 Yellow Labs - 1M 2F

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ever heard of a Parrot mating with African Cichlid?

Postby noki » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Probably the female just had to expel the eggs and is acting instinctual, with no possible mates. The male Malawi cichlids are not gonna fertilize the eggs nor know how to act like a monogamous substrate spawner afterwards.
noki

Postby 01722 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Update- One of the male peacocks is now defending the area with the female and she has allowed him to be near her and the eggs. I assume the Parrot and African Cichlids aren't biologically capable of producing offspring, but it's an interesting turn of events.
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks
30G 3 Yellow Labs - 1M 2F

Postby spn1025 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:43 pm

I would say by this time there should be an update?? lol
spn1025

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion