General African Cichlid Discussion • Quick stocking question

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Quick stocking question

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Hello, I just got a 150 that I will be making into an all male peacock hap tank. Currently I have a 55 gallon with yellow labs and yellow tail acei. I am curious if I can move the dominant yellow tail acei who is reaching over 6 inches and is getting a little too big for a 55 into the all male tank. I have the same question for the yellow lab, not because he is too big, but I think he is a pretty fish and would love him in the tank. I know these are “peaceful” mbuna, will they cause an issue in a peacock hap tank? I do not have my mind set on any peacocks/haps yet.
nickthefoxtoy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Quick stocking question

Postby DJRansome » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:27 pm

How long is the tank?

They usually work with peacocks and haps in an all-male tank. I personally like to keep them separate but it can be done. You could even more the entire breeding group of both acei and yellow labs.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 pm

It is a 6ft tank. That would be pretty cool. I would like to move the breeding group over. Would the female acei cause any drama for the male peacocks/haps? And would there be any extra aggression from the mbuna with the females being in there as well in your opinion?
nickthefoxtoy

Postby noki » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 pm

You could possibly have Acei or Yellow Labs but starting a tank with a dominant 6+" Acei doesn't help the color of your Haps/Peacocks. If you have a Hap/Peacock tank, you want them to color up and feel happy and dominant, that is the point, and having mbuna may stress out the Hap/ Peacocks to some degree, even if they do not beat them up.

The mix may be okay, or it may keep your Hap/peacocks from showing their full color. It a depends on what is important to you. Generally I found that Haps/ pure Peacocks do not look good in a mostly Mbuna tank.
noki

Postby DJRansome » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

I also prefer to keep them separate. Also remember if you add six acei (then omit the lab) you have used 1/3 of your slots for peacocks and haps. Male haps and peacocks seem to ignore female mbuna in general.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion