General African Cichlid Discussion • Newb question about Fry

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Newb question about Fry

Postby JVOvoiceover » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am

Hi there,
A situation I'm currently experiencing prompted me to look for answers online, and my search brought me to this wonderful place. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with mostly Red Jewel Cichlids. Awhile back I noticed some fry in the tank. I removed them along with the breeding pair, and everybody is doing fine. The fry are about a 1/2 inch now. This morning, I noticed some extra agression among two others, and sure enough, in a corner of the tank are more newly hatched fry. Must be at least 100 of the little buggers or more. At this point, I'd like to be spared the posts about being irresponsible for not researching first, "you should have been prepared" etc... I get it. The reality is that I now have a bunch of fish that I'm not going to have room for. The current fry I have that are 1/2 inch long are in a 29 gallon tank at the moment. Any helpful suggestions on how to perhaps sell these, or is it best to donate them to the local pet store? I'm sure there is somebody that''s been in this type of situation? I sure appreciate any help.
JVO
JVOvoiceover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Newb question about Fry

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:57 am

Find out if there are any aquarium clubs in your region. These offer your best opportunity to sell or even trade those fry for something else. Most clubs have mini-auctions at their monthly meetings, as well as major public auctions in Spring or Fall or both. You might want to sell off one of those pairs, and you would get your best price at an auction. And if there are any shops nearby that might buy tank raised fish, someone at a club will know about it. They are a also good places to meet others as crazy about fish as you!
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion