General African Cichlid Discussion • How big is my fish?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

How big is my fish?

Postby bigmbunaguy » Fri May 24, 2019 11:51 pm

Currently, all my fish are around the same size. I am not sure what that size is however.

I noticed that the websites that sell fish sell them in small, medium or large. Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 3/4" to 1-1/4"; Medium: 1-1/4" to 2-1/2 "; Large: 2-1/2" to 3-1/2
Obviously, the fish I have are not small, but I was wandering if they were medium or large.

* I have since added substrate and rocks so do not be overly alarmed at the picture.
Attachments
ten.jpg
bigmbunaguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How big is my fish?

Postby ken31cay » Sat May 25, 2019 7:41 am

If you can take close-up pictures when the fish are squarely lined up next to your filter's intake tube then we may be able to give approximate sizes.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 am

Not sure what is available in gefefe, but here I would say look for another (better) website.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 pm

I wouldn't take the sizing as very serious, they will send you what they have since fish are always growing, and some online sites are rather dubious. What is important is if the fish are adults/ sexually mature or juveniles. You fish may be young adults, unless they were artificially hormoned.
noki

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion