General African Cichlid Discussion • 125 gallon mbuna tank stocking

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

125 gallon mbuna tank stocking

Postby fishlips65 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 pm

I just got my 125 gallon mbuna tank cycled and ready for fish, I was thinking yellow labs, rusties, red zebras,and demosani, how many fish can I stock with four species?
fishlips65

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 125 gallon mbuna tank stocking

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

You probably want to avoid the combination of yellow labs and red zebras because they cross breed. Demasoni are difficult to keep and require more work than other mbuna...are you sure?

If yes I would swap the red zebras for Acei. Then stock 1m:4f of the labs, rusties and acei.

And 3m:17f of the demasoni. In order to get the right amount of females buy 2X as many unsexed juveniles as you want to end up with. Have a rehoming plan for all the extra males.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishlips65 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Ok, I'll do the Acei instead of the zebras, you mentioned demasoni being more work than other mbuna, is it because they tend to be a little more aggressive than other mbuna? Thanks for the help!
fishlips65

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:58 am

Yes and no. They are more aggressive so they harass each other. But they are also more susceptible to illness due to physical features (long gut) and therefore quick to become ill when harassed. IME Demasoni are the poster child for what we commonly refer to as bloat in the hobby.

They don't always do well in the presence of even more aggressive species. Survive but not thrive.

Finally since you stock such a large number you have to tear the tank down a lot. When you fill the tank to the waterline with rocks, it can take a while to remove them and replace them. You have to net the harassed fish which is a given until you have removed all but 3 males. And ongoing to net holding females (if you plan to collect fry) they look so much alike I never have luck getting the one I want unless the rocks are all out of the way.

BTW it is not impossible to keep demasoni in smaller numbers if you ensure 1m and lots of females. BC is doing this. I continue to think the large population has better odds of success. This goes back to Ad Konings who writes about an overcrowded species tank of demasoni being a favorite and others in the wholesale business who noticed that the crowded demasoni tanks fared better than the sparser ones. It also reflects my own experience.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishlips65 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks for some insight on these beautiful little fish, I've been doing a lot of research on them and believe I'm going to try the stocking numbers you suggest, I will post a picture once I have everything done, thanks again Dj
fishlips65

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion