General African Cichlid Discussion • Add red and blue colour fish to the aquarium

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Add red and blue colour fish to the aquarium

Postby zedtechus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:31 pm

Hello,

I have currently 1M-3F yellow labs in my 55 gallons aquarium.
I would love to add some red and blue cichlids in the aquarium but unfortunately the peacocks female are brown so this is not much an option.
Are there any malawi cichlids where males are red or blue and the females are same colour or at least any other colour than brown ?
they should also be compatible with the yellow labs.
Thank you .
zedtechus

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Add red and blue colour fish to the aquarium

Postby ironspider » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 am

Cobalt blue are blue whether male or female. Some are darker some lighter like a sky blue. I have them with yellow labs.
ironspider

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 am

No true red and nothing even close with females that are the same color that can be kept with yellow labs.

Cobalt would work (Metraiclima callainos).

Another option would be Cynotilapia sp. hara which is also mid-blue but males have the black bars.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby zedtechus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks a lot, I got 4 cobalt blue, but until now I have no idea of ration male / female.. they are adults.. for now the yellow lab male is the boss.. will see in time how this will turn on.
I was also thinking at the peacock strawberry, I've seen a few of them in LFS and all a nice bright red, they were about 3 inches... I thought they could be male and female but looks like they are all male..
Do you know if females are red also or they are brown like most of the peacock females?

@DJRansome, Cynotilapia sp. hara this are very nice fishes (very bright blue), they look a lot like Demasoni, not sure if the same fish like Demansoni but usually this fish is not growing as big as peacocks, they are a bit too small ...
zedtechus

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Peacock females should be drab. The strawberries are hybrids, so you never know...also they could be hormoned (this is harmful) causing females to show male characteristics for a quick sale at the LFS.

I would definitely not add peacocks with cobalts (Metriaclima callainos) as the metriclima are fairly aggressive.

You might be looking at a different Cynotilapia...the hara are medium blue and males turn a very light blue black bars. Same size as labs.

Also there is no need to stock fish that grow to be the same size.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby zedtechus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm

DJRansome wrote:Peacock females should be drab. The strawberries are hybrids, so you never know...also they could be hormoned (this is harmful) causing females to show male characteristics for a quick sale at the LFS.

I would definitely not add peacocks with cobalts (Metriaclima callainos) as the metriclima are fairly aggressive.

You might be looking at a different Cynotilapia...the hara are medium blue and males turn a very light blue black bars. Same size as labs.

Also there is no need to stock fish that grow to be the same size.

ok than no peacocks with cobalts but there is no LFS store in my area where I can find the hara.... :( there are some selling the demasoni, expensive thought, but not the same as hara.
zedtechus

Postby punman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:26 pm

C. moorii (Blue Dolphins) are pale blue (both sexes) and do well with yellow labs - I have done that combo a few times. If you got some (three or four) that were an inch or so you could enjoy them for a while (maybe a couple years) as they grow slowly. However eventually they (the dolphins) will need a bigger tank.

At that point you get the bigger tank or trade/sell them and move on to different fish.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
punman

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:35 pm

OP has the blue cobalts and is now looking for a 3rd species. What about rusties? We usually order online to get the variety we need, IDK what might be available in Quebec. Avoid the demasoni.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ironspider » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 am

DJRansome wrote:OP has the blue cobalts and is now looking for a 3rd species. What about rusties? We usually order online to get the variety we need, IDK what might be available in Quebec. Avoid the demasoni.

I have rusties, they are the most drab fish in my tank. My demasoni are my favorite they mess with each other but nobody else.
ironspider

Postby Old Newbie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 am

ironspider wrote:
DJRansome wrote:OP has the blue cobalts and is now looking for a 3rd species. What about rusties? We usually order online to get the variety we need, IDK what might be available in Quebec. Avoid the demasoni.

I have rusties, they are the most drab fish in my tank. My demasoni are my favorite they mess with each other but nobody else.

I used to have a Demasoni species tank, 3 males and 12 females. All was well for almost 2 years, now I have one very mean male and I am considering what to do with him...
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby zedtechus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks guys, I am still thinking what to do ... since the new 4 blue cobalts addition my yellow lab male got a bit crazy, I think I will stick with the yellow labs and blue cobalts for a while... unless I remove the yellow lab females so the male will calm down...

Buying online would be an option but there is only one reasonable option here (as far as I know), I don't know if I can say the name here in this topic but they are in British Columbia.

I've seen the rusties in LFS ... they look ok but not that bright thought. As far as the demasoni I heard all kind of stories so I will avoid them.

The cynotilapia sp. hara are definitely on my list but not available to the online store from BritishColumbia...
zedtechus

Postby fishndogs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 am

I believe I know the store in BC to which you referred -- they are a short drive from me. They carry mostly peacocks and sometimes a pretty good selection of tangs but not much by way of mbuna.

There is an online store in Quebec and one in Winnipeg, both of which seem to have good reputations. The Quebec store (greater Montreal area) currently lists 3 hara in stock. PM me if you would like the name/website.
fishndogs

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 am

Now that you have the cobalts don't add the hara. Nothing wrong with a tank with labs and cobalts, but I would add juveniles to manage aggression. I would add 4 labs and 4 cobalts.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby james1983 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

How about snow white socolofi? They aren't red, but I think the white would look really nice with the blue and yellow.
james1983

Postby zedtechus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Fishndogs, I have just PM you.

DJRansome, I have 16 yellow labs fry in another tank but they are way too small now, just one month old... I will have to wait or buy some new labs. I also have 4 peacocks about 2" large (one very bright yellow blue color male)... this could work in the same tank only that they are peacocks... not sure thought... I have to try and see if degenerates than I remove them.. mind you it's always hard to remove them... unless I'm taking off most of the stones from the aquarium... :(

james, white ones are nice .. but will keep them as a second option for now :)
zedtechus

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion