General African Cichlid Discussion • Best Option for Holding Yellow Lab

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Best Option for Holding Yellow Lab

Postby 01722 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:22 pm

I started a species tank with some small yellow labs about six months ago. Full disclaimer,I've never breed fish before. There is a male about 2.5" and 3 more fish around 2" that I haven't been able to identify their sex yet. The fish always hide in the rockwork when I enter the room to feed them (room not used much). Apparently I haven't been paying close enough attention and there is a lone fry that started coming out a little from the rockwork at feeding time. He's probably already a bit under a centimeter. Now it's a week later and the fish I believe is the mother looks like she is already holding again (not hatched yet). Getting another tank isn't really an option for me in the next month. I didn't expect this to happen so soon with how small the female is which of course was a mistake on my part. What is my best option to save the next group of fry and give the mother a break to recover? I have a larger 10x5x6" net/ breeder cage and I have one of those hang on the side plastic hospital boxes with the air pump intake 6x4x3". If I should put the female in one of these, which one and when? I think she has only been holding about 3 days.
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks
30G 3 Yellow Labs - 1M 2F

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Best Option for Holding Yellow Lab

Postby DJRansome » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:08 pm

I would just let her spit in the tank. No sense saving the fry if you don't have a tank to raise them. Wait for the next batch, it will be along soon.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm

I agree with the above comment. Or let her hold three weeks and learn to strip the fry and put them in the breeder box for a couple more weeks, then put them in a small tank.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby 01722 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching videos on stripping fish. I think I'll try that with the breeder box. I was surprised she started holding again so soon. I was thinking about putting her in the netted cage for a week or so to keep the male away from her for a bit.
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks

Postby DJRansome » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Don't put the breeder box in the main tank...the adults will get the babies overnight even within the net. If you have no choice (if you need 2 weeks to get the grow-out tank) then put a handful of substrate in the bottom to block biting through the net.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby 01722 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 pm

I've got the hard plastic hospital box I'll put the fry in... Is it unusual for the female to be holding eggs again so soon? I figure it must be within 3 weeks of spitting the first fry. She looks fine but I'm a little worried about her going so long without eating again.

Postby punman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

Spawning again within three weeks? Seems a little odd. Could she still be holding fry from the first batch?
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion