General African Cichlid Discussion • Feeding

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Feeding

Postby Ralph493 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I now have eight White Labs and eight Salousi. At feeding Spectrum pellets the Salousi are out and eating as they drop. The White Lab hang out in caves/rocks and don't seem to be out as much. Can I assume they are getting pellets off the sand? Just like to know they're getting something. New to Cihlids and feeding pellets in general. Only had them for less than week. The tank is a 55 gallon. Water chemistry is fine.These are all unsexed juveniles. Thanks.
Ralph493

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Feeding

Postby Old Newbie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:25 pm

They will come out and eat when they get hungry enough; they can go for quite a wile with out eating at all.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Ralph493 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks. I was thinking they would.
Ralph493

Postby Halfcopy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Something about Spectrum that fish seem to take getting used to. I've recently switched and it took weeks before some fish would eat it. Now they are ravenous wolves for the stuff. However the Comps absolutely refuse it still, so they get frozen foods. I've found that if most fish in the tank are eating then everyone else tends to get the idea in short order.
Halfcopy

Postby fish_gazer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Halfcopy wrote:Something about Spectrum that fish seem to take getting used to. I've recently switched and it took weeks before some fish would eat it. Now they are ravenous wolves for the stuff. However the Comps absolutely refuse it still, so they get frozen foods. I've found that if most fish in the tank are eating then everyone else tends to get the idea in short order.

I've have the same quandary with a few of my fish, so I use two foods as well. I did not force the issue with Spectrum. The fish that love it gobble it up. While the fish that love that other thing, get that.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby DJRansome » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:11 am

See how they do after a month when they feel comfortable in the tank. I feed NLS exclusively and have for many years.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion