General African Cichlid Discussion • Aggression

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Aggression

Postby Tin Finz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:11 pm

So in my grow out tank (55G) I have a variety of different peacocks ranging from 1.5-3.5 inches (one 6 inch taiwan reef cichlid which is super docile) however I got 3 new fish today 1 OB, 1 Sulfur head, and lastly the jacobfreibergi which is around 3 inches i did a 50% water change and moved around all my rocks to lower the fighting with new fish however my 4 inch Aulonocara will not stop going after the Jacobferibergi i let them have at it for a good 15 minutes watching them closely but sadly the Aulonocara wouldnt stop, he doesnt bother any other fish in the tank including the other 2 new fish. I have my baby arrowana in quarantine now or id put him in there but for the mean time hes in a plastic cage at the bottom of the tank. however i cant do that forever what are some good ways to bring down the aggression i do have a 125g tank i can move the Aulonocara into however i wanted to wait till i could add a few fish to avoid the same issue in that tank. Sorry for any confusion or typos im running out and wanted to put this up before i left so tomorrow i can try to fix the problem
Stock:(125 Gallon) 2 OB Peacock, 1 Venustus (possible Hybrid), 1 Maylandi, 1 Red Shoulder Peacock, 2 Greshakei Zebra, 1 fryeri, 1 stuartgranti Maleri
Tin Finz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aggression

Postby DJRansome » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Why do you have such big fish in a grow-out tank? What species is the Aulonocara that is chasing the Jake?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:49 pm

This is normal, the 4 inch sees that new male as a competitor that is threatening his position, he is trying to chase the interloper away, unfortunately fish are trapped in a tank. This is a problem of having so many similar males together.

I not sure how violent the aggression is but the aggression may go down in intensity after the first day, but a new fish can be killed like this. If the problem continues, you can't really do much except pick which fish to remove. Keeping the tank crowded helps distract the fish. Cichlids can be a pain, they don't always behave like you want.
noki

Postby Tin Finz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:23 am

I Mainly have bigger fish in my grow out because my main tank the 125g has a full grown OB who is really aggressive and singles out any fish smaller than him and i only have 2 maybe 3 fish i could add to that tank(they were previously in the 125g) but their fins gets torn up and they get really stressed and I've lost 2 fish from the aggression and stress. I wish i could afford to get a few more larger fish for that tank to over crowd it alittle but sadly i cant. The Aulonocara is a nyassae i believe but not 100% sure. I have a few fish smaller than the Jake but the Aulonocar specifically targets the jake no matter where it is in the tank.
Stock:(125 Gallon) 2 OB Peacock, 1 Venustus (possible Hybrid), 1 Maylandi, 1 Red Shoulder Peacock, 2 Greshakei Zebra, 1 fryeri, 1 stuartgranti Maleri
Tin Finz

Postby DJRansome » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:30 am

I would remove the OB peacocks from the 125G and the greshakei since they are mbuna or mbuna mixes, not unexpected for them to be too aggressive for haps and peacocks like maleri, etc. Why did you buy another?

Then I would add any hap/peacock that is 2" or larger to the 125G all at once.

This means no quarantine for your new fish and that has a risk associated with it, but you have already taken that risk for the 125G.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Tin Finz wrote:So in my grow out tank (55G) ... I have my baby arrowana in quarantine now or id put him in there but for the mean time hes in a plastic cage at the bottom of the tank. however i cant do that forever

If I'm not mistaken, an arowana should have access to air at the top of the tank as it's a facultative air breather and normally swims in the upper section of tanks. What are your plans for him and any tankmates?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion