General African Cichlid Discussion • Algea

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Algea

Postby DanieO » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am

Hey guys I have a 36G tank and I don’t leave my light on all the time. I struggle and battle with the algea growth in my tank. I also do 50% water change every week. Please give me some advice. My light is on for about an hour or two at the most. That’s when I feed them.
DanieO

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Algea

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

What are your test results for nitrate and phosphate?

What color is the algae...rusty brown or green? How long has your tank been established?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby DanieO » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 pm

My tank has been setup for about a year now. Can’t test those water parameters now. I’ll need to buy the test kits first.
DanieO

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Sounds good.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Halfcopy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 am

I wouldn't bother buying tests it's algae it's uses phosphate nitrates ammonia and light. You've got an abundance of one or more of those. I'd assume you don't use a light timer you forget sometimes to turn them off? You have sunlight hitting the tank even ambient? What about room lighting a lamp burning five six hrs a night? Running a year your stones (if you have them) got a buildup of organics under them? Two hrs is pretty short duration I'd rule that out unless it's maybe a 500w mh. Add a little salt if your fish will tolerate it. Cut the food a tad, leave the light off completely a few days.
Halfcopy

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion