General African Cichlid Discussion • Red Top Lab "Hongi"

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Red Top Lab "Hongi"

Postby teeceejay42 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello all,

When I was collecting my fish for my new tank, I asked the guys to bag up 1m 3f of each of my species. He put the males in separate bags and the groups of females together. By the time I got them home, two of my 'female' Red Top Labs "hongi" had coloured up and were starting to look distinctly Male. Now that they've all been in the tank a while, I'm beginning to get even more convinced that I have 3m 1f or even 4m? Can someone please tell me if the fish pictured below are normal colours for female Red Tops? I swear i've seen the 'females' doing the shaky dance at each other too! I've also put a pic of how they were all looking together in the shop tank. Many Thanks. levels ph 7.8, Amm 0 Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-15ppm temp 26C

Red Tops
F1_Red Top Hongi.jpg

My Tank.
Full Tank.jpg

Shop Tank
Shop Tank.jpg

This will be my final Stock in 260L (75Gal). Currently lacking 1f Jalo Reef, confirmation of female Red Tops, and all the Yellow Acei
Stock List.jpg
teeceejay42

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Red Top Lab "Hongi"

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Seems like a lot of species for a 75G. I like a minimum of 4 females/species and for aggressive ones like hongi and elongatus I like a minimum of 7 females.

I would not be surprised if you got the wrong gender. Did you vent the alleged females?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Red Top Lab "Hongi"

Postby teeceejay42 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:01 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would not be surprised if you got the wrong gender. Did you vent the alleged females?

Nope. I was kind of relying on the shop guys 30+ years of experience. I'll take the photos to the shop this weekend and see what they say, they should be able to sort it our for me.
Back to my original question, are these fish showing 'female' Hongi Red Top Colours?

DJRansome wrote:Seems like a lot of species for a 75G. I like a minimum of 4 females/species and for aggressive ones like hongi and elongatus I like a minimum of 7 females.

The Elongatus aren't in the tank yet, (wouldn't let me edit the original post) they are an aspiration if I get the chance. That's why I love/hate this hobby. There are loads of cool fish and then you have all these rules about how you can't have 'this one with that one' and 'him with her' and to top it all off, your LFS only sell stuff which you can't put in the same tank.
teeceejay42

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion