General African Cichlid Discussion • A few questions about mixing and breeding

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

A few questions about mixing and breeding

Postby XtaC1337 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm looking into keep about 5 different kinds of mbuna in a 75 gallon Tank. Demasonai, Yellow Lab's, Red Zebras, Yellow Tail acei's and Jalo Reef. I Want them to breed in there but I also want to breed Dragonblood peacocks. Can i do this in the same tank? I'm also wondering how many tanks/what sizes would be good for growing them out to the point i can sell them?
XtaC1337

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: A few questions about mixing and breeding

Postby noki » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 pm

You really need less species so you can have more females and hope that you do not get hybrid mixed fry. Dragonblood are already hybrids and may not breed true anyway.

You need to pick a couple species that you seriously want to breed, and you need quality pure parents to start with. All fish are not the same. You want to avoid fish that can cause confusion and avoid hybrid fry that you are not sure of. You want a lot of females for the one dominant male.
noki

Postby XtaC1337 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 pm

noki wrote:You really need less species so you can have more females and hope that you do not get hybrid mixed fry. Dragonblood are already hybrids and may not breed true anyway.

You need to pick a couple species that you seriously want to breed, and you need quality pure parents to start with. All fish are not the same. You want to avoid fish that can cause confusion and avoid hybrid fry that you are not sure of. You want a lot of females for the one dominant male.

Ohh ok thanks. I thought they would only hybrid if they were the same species, but i guess im wrong. What mbuna do you think would go best with the dragonblood? If any. I Really like dragon bloods, but want to breed multiple different fish.
XtaC1337

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Yellow labs.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby XtaC1337 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 pm

DJRansome wrote:Yellow labs.