General African Cichlid Discussion • Mixed birthday fry

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Mixed birthday fry

Postby Belair62 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Have Duboisi and Moop fry growing out in a 10 gallon for now. Just got 3 more Duboisi spit yesterday. Can I keep all these together to grow out ? First 8 duboisi fry are 1 month @1inch, 3 moops are 1 week at 3/4 inch and these last 3 are yesterday about 1/2inch. There is a pretty big size difference from first batch to yesterdays. Safe to put together and can I keep adding fry as they spit.
Belair62

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixed birthday fry

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 pm

No. Newly spit fry should have a chance to grow/mature/become accustomed to the outside world before mixing with larger fry. People who save all batches of fry have multiple tanks and the newly spit/stripped ones get their own tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Belair62 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks DJ. The new spitters are seperate but wanted to put them all in a 20 in a few weeks and then from there up in tank sizes.
Belair62

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:22 am

Belair62 wrote:Have Duboisi and Moop fry growing out in a 10 gallon for now. Just got 3 more Duboisi spit yesterday. Can I keep all these together to grow out ? First 8 duboisi fry are 1 month @1inch, 3 moops are 1 week at 3/4 inch and these last 3 are yesterday about 1/2inch. There is a pretty big size difference from first batch to yesterdays. Safe to put together and can I keep adding fry as they spit.

I was cleaning out my community tank 3 weeks ago, had to take out about 150 of slate to catch all of the Kenyi fry. I thought I had 18 to 20 inch to inch and a half fry, but once I got all of the rock out and what I thought was all of the fish out, I saw 2 little tiny Kenyi that looked as if they probably were spit when I was catching their mom. Anyway, all of the fry were placed in a 20 gallon tank and all of them have done well. The little guys are about an inch long now and feed at the top with the rest of the herd.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion