General African Cichlid Discussion • WTF URGENT URGENT BABY FISH

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

WTF URGENT URGENT BABY FISH

Postby CichliBAE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Okay, this is CRAZY! I have a 38 Gallon cichlid tank, very overstocked with 1Demasoni, 2 Venustus cichlids, 3 Red Zebra Cichlids, 2 Acei, 3 Kenyi (1 Male for sure), and 4 Bumblebee cichlids, 1 Electric yellow. I have drift wood, sand substrate, and put seachem lake salt and buffer. Okay, so I am cleaning out my poop filter and what do you know, 2 LITTLE Baby CICHLIDS! Omg wth. Only 2 seemed to have survived as I can't find them anymore. I have attached pictures:

I have a STRONG feeling they are mini Zebras! Is this even possible??? These cichlids have been with me with zero aggression and for a few months tops (Got them at petsmart. Thanks
CichliBAE

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: WTF URGENT URGENT BABY FISH

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Maybe a cross between lab and zebra or kenyi and zebra.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CichliBAE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you so much. Is it possible they're purebred Zebras? Also how old do you think these might be?
CichliBAE

Postby Narwhal72 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 am

These look like zebra fry. But you can never assume that these are pure bred zebras since they come from a mixed tank. There is no guarantee that both parents are zebras.
Narwhal72

Postby CichliBAE » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

Alright, so how would I go on making these guys grow up to be healthy bois? I've purchased the Hikari micro pellets and it seems slightly big but they'll break it up and eat the particles. Will this suffice?
CichliBAE

Postby Narwhal72 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is the best thing to start them on. But it's a lot of work for two little fry. The Micro pellets or even finely crushed flake food is fine.

I would suggest putting them in a separate 2-5 gallon tank with a sponge filter. Change 50% of the water at least weekly (more frequently will result in faster growth).

Andy
Narwhal72

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion