General African Cichlid Discussion • Need Illness Diagnosis

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Need Illness Diagnosis

Postby kingray52 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello,
About a month ago I bought a new Electric Yellow Cichlid, and after having it for a few days I noticed that it's tail fin was damaged. It was sometimes split, and always was frayed on the edges. I watched it closely but it didn't have any other problems, and it did fine except for never having a fully healed tail fin. I just assumed it was from ripping due to decorations or from being attacked by the larger cichlids. It also seemed to have enlarged eyes, but it is undersized compared to my other cichlids, only about an inch and a half long, so I thought it was due to small size. Recently, it has been acting strangely. I saw it floating upright, head up and tail down, while just remaining stationary next to the heater. It's tail fin is now more frayed and is split, and there's even a small chunk missing from it's dorsal fin. The fish is still eating, and still swims at a decent level, so it's fairly normal besides when it stays still next to the heater and besides it's physical injuries. There are three other fish in the tank, all of them slightly larger but not yet fully grown that are all doing well. I did a 15-20% water change about a week ago, my filter changes are up to date, and about three days ago I put in a product designed to reduce the algae in the tank (but I did so as instructed for the amount of water in the tank). If you can just diagnose this, or if you have any idea what's going on I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
kingray52

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need Illness Diagnosis

Postby james1983 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Do you have a test kit to give water parameters? What size tank and what are the other fish? Everything you described sounds like it's being beat up.
james1983

Postby kingray52 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 pm

james1983 wrote:Do you have a test kit to give water parameters? What size tank and what are the other fish? Everything you described sounds like it's being beat up.

I've already tested everything using test strips, the only problem I've seen is that alkalinity is a little high, about 300
kingray52

Postby kingray52 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:59 pm

And it's a 29 gallon, the other fish range from about 2-2.5 inches. It was being attacked before but it was doing fine, the heater thing is a new behavior.
kingray52

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Agree the fish is being harassed. The position and proximity to the heater is a give-away. Harassment is often not witnessed.

A 29G is on the very small size for Labidochromis caeruleus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion