General African Cichlid Discussion • Kenyi holding

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Kenyi holding

Postby Electricyellow3 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 am

I noticed the last two days my kenyi wasn't eating and thought something was wrong with her. She would act as if she was going towards the food but wouldn't actually eat. She is chasing everyone else away when it's time to feed. She was barely opening her mouth but I was looking closely and saw something in her mouth. She opened larger and could finally see eggs! First time any of my fish have held and I'm pretty excited! The only one I can think of that would be the father is my OB peacock. I know some may say that's a no no by letting them breed but not like I could help it. Question is, do I take her and put her in my 10g hospital tank to let her spit in there or let her run the course in the main? There are plenty of small hiding spots for when the fry arrive.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Kenyi holding

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 26, 2018 4:49 pm

I would let her spit in the main tank. Any hybrid fry that survive could upset the balance of your tank and start breeding themselves when they mature.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Electricyellow3 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would let her spit in the main tank. Any hybrid fry that survive could upset the balance of your tank and start breeding themselves when they mature.

Well I do want to keep some fry if they survive to add to another tank but unfortunately she is not holding anymore. I went to feed everyone tonight and she was eating. She opened her mouth and I didn't see any eggs anymore :( I'm a little disappointed now.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby morrismorris » Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 pm

I just had the same thing happen with my sole Kenyi. She held for a few weeks then one morning I noticed she wasn't and was back to feeding. I thought the 2 Synodontis and 15 other cichlids would have eaten the fry but after lifting rocks during today's water change, saw at least 2 survivors.
morrismorris

Postby morrismorris » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Update: just removed a few rocks that were serving as hiding spots and it seems as though I should now be rid of the hybrid fry.

My tank is still a work in progress and I hope to have it down to just 3 species and the Synodontis in the next few months.

Electric: sorry to hear you are upset about the situation. Are you trying to have the Kenyi or other fish breed?
morrismorris

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm

morrismorris wrote:Update: just removed a few rocks that were serving as hiding spots and it seems as though I should now be rid of the hybrid fry.

My tank is still a work in progress and I hope to have it down to just 3 species and the Synodontis in the next few months.

Electric: sorry to hear you are upset about the situation. Are you trying to have the Kenyi or other fish breed?

Thanks and yeah I wouldn't mind getting some dry. I would prefer my convicts to spawn but that doesn't seem to be happening lol. I was just surprised to see my kenyi holding then bam she wasn't.
Electricyellow3

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion