General African Cichlid Discussion • Lip Locking

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Lip Locking

Postby Electricyellow3 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:38 pm

So I was pretty sure that my red zebra is a female but I could be wrong. The reason I say that is my electric yellow is always chasing it and vibrating in front of her so I assumed it was female. Today is saw my male pink convict lip locking with it. They would go in circles then hold on to each other with their mouths. Idk if this is them trying to mate or fighting over territory. What are the best ways of knowing? Will cichlids lip lock when they are mating and not just fighting? They seemed to just swim while holding each other and the pink convicts gills were flared.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Lip Locking

Postby noki » Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 pm

The Convicts will not breed with an African cichlid, so that would have to be fighting. Lip locking is usually territorial or for pecking order dominance.
noki

Re: Lip Locking

Postby Electricyellow3 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 pm

noki wrote:The Convicts will not breed with an African cichlid, so that would have to be fighting. Lip locking is usually territorial or for pecking order dominance.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they could mate since someone said all cichlids can mate with each other lol didn't think that was true. Is it possible a male and female would fight like that or does my red zebra have to be a male?
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion