General African Cichlid Discussion • Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 am

Hi, I have a Metriaclima Callainos (Colbolt Blue Zebra Female), and an Elongatus Mpanga (Mpanga Female).
And they are always mouth to mouth. Please help! :-? :-? :-? :o :fish:
Attachments
Pang Breath.jpg
My pride and joy - Pang - ~Elongatus Mpanga Female~
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby DJRansome » Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 am

What other fish are in the tank? You might have to rehome one.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby noki » Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 am

Your pride and joy female above looks like a male...?
...
noki
 
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 am
Location: OH

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 am

@DJRansome - I own an Yellow Lab, 2 Mpanga's, A Peacock and A Colbolt Blue. (There is one baby from the colbolt and male Mpanga that is in the tank.)

@noki - I have no clue to be honest. I got told that it's a female and the other (Picture below) is a male
Attachments
Front Boon.jpg
Male Mpanga?!? Normally agressive and very territorial over best area to live. (P.s. this photo is edited to use in photo album) (I can show original if needed)
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby noki » Wed May 09, 2018 11:59 am

JujceBox wrote:@DJRansome - I own an Yellow Lab, 2 Mpanga's, A Peacock and A Colbolt Blue. (There is one baby from the colbolt and male Mpanga that is in the tank.)

@noki - I have no clue to be honest. I got told that it's a female and the other (Picture below) is a male



That picture is of a Labeotropheus maybe fuelleborni
...
noki
 
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 am
Location: OH

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby DJRansome » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 pm

What are the dimensions of the tank?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Thu May 10, 2018 5:46 am

DJRansome wrote:What are the dimensions of the tank?



w: 1ft
h: 1.7ft
l: 2ft
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 am

noki wrote:
JujceBox wrote:@DJRansome - I own an Yellow Lab, 2 Mpanga's, A Peacock and A Colbolt Blue. (There is one baby from the colbolt and male Mpanga that is in the tank.)

@noki - I have no clue to be honest. I got told that it's a female and the other (Picture below) is a male



That picture is of a Labeotropheus maybe fuelleborni



I dunno ma dude
PM me your email, I'll send a photo of each, gotta pull the Macro lense out.
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 10, 2018 6:39 pm

If your tank is 2 feet or 24 inches it is too small for the fish you have stocked.

Most Malawi do best in 48" or longer...some limited species might do well in a 36" tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 pm

DJRansome wrote:If your tank is 2 feet or 24 inches it is too small for the fish you have stocked.

Most Malawi do best in 48" or longer...some limited species might do well in a 36" tank.



So I need to Up the tank size. What type of filter should I get for it, I have the basic equipment at the moment.
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 10, 2018 7:11 pm

I would not mix the mbuna and the peacock that you have. And if you are going to keep the mpanga I would go for a 48" x 18" or larger.

You don't want more than 4 species though.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby noki » Fri May 11, 2018 11:27 am

You need to know what you have also. I see a male Labeotropheus and a male Elongatus Mpanga. Is your "Peacock" one of the oddity hybrids?
...
noki
 
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 am
Location: OH

Re: Cichlids Mouth locking - Both female.

Postby JujceBox » Sat May 12, 2018 6:06 am

noki wrote:You need to know what you have also. I see a male Labeotropheus and a male Elongatus Mpanga. Is your "Peacock" one of the oddity hybrids?


I cant remember what type of Peacock it is, I do know it isnt being attacked or attacking. it is just homeless. I cant send a picture of the peacock, its a NEF and too big.
JujceBox
 
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 am
Location: Australia


Return to General African Cichlid Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests