General African Cichlid Discussion • 80G Peacock Stocking and 40B Tang Communtiy Tank

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

80G Peacock Stocking and 40B Tang Communtiy Tank

Postby Troyvsc » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 pm

Have a couple question regarding stocking for a system that I have waited several years to setup so want to do everything right. The system includes an 80G over a 40B over a 20 Long sump. The 80 I want to be an all male Peacock tank. The 40 Breeder I want to be Lake Tanganyika Community Tank. Any advice of dos and don't. Due to expense and bioload I won't be getting all at one time. So any advice on stocking order to will be greatly appreciated. Would love to start with the Shellies in the 40 and a couple peacocks/denison barbs (if they are compatible) in the 80 at least.

My questions are this. I really love Denison Barbs (Roseline Sharks). Have wanted them for awhile now. This is my only big tank that would be suitable for them. Is it possible for stocking a school of Denison Barb with the Peacocks. I plan on trying to stock with more peaceful Peacocks (not sure if there is such a thing).

40 breeder stocking I want a Tanganyika Community Tank with Shell Dwellers Here is the stocking I was thinking of:

Shell Dweller Colony Group of at least one and possibly 2 species: Lamprologus similis 2”, L. Multifasciatus 1.5”, L. Ocellatus 2”, L. Brevis 2.25”

Upper Water Free Swimming School: Paracyprichromis nigripinnis (Blue Neon) 4”, or Cyprichromis leptosoma (Mpulungu) 4.5”

Rock Dwellers 1 Pair of Each Group:
Julidochromis ornatus 3”, J. transcriptus 3”, J. marlieri 3”, J. regani 5”, or J. dickfeldi 4”

Altolamprologus Calvus (Black Calvus) 6”, Altolamprologus sp. “Compressiceps Shell”
(Dwarf Sumbu Calvus) 3” or Altolamprologus compressiceps 6”

Possible Pair: Neolamprologus leleupi 5” or Neolamprologus cylindricus 4.5” (Not with Shell Dwellers)

Catfish? ​Synodontis petricola 5”, Dwarf Lake Synodontis 4.5”, S. multipunctatus 9”
Troyvsc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 80G Peacock Stocking and 40B Tang Communtiy Tank

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:11 am

I have never heard of the Denison barbs being kept with peacocks so unless someone chimes in, all you can do is try and be prepared to remove them. What are the dimensions of the 80G?

Regarding the 40B they are usually 36" long so stock by the length. I would choose one species of shellies or lucipinnis but not both. Paracyps but not cyps. One pair small, peaceful rock dwellers such as Julidochromis marlieri Gombe or Altolamprologus calvus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Troyvsc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

DJRansome wrote:I have never heard of the Denison barbs being kept with peacocks so unless someone chimes in, all you can do is try and be prepared to remove them. What are the dimensions of the 80G?

Regarding the 40B they are usually 36" long so stock by the length. I would choose one species of shellies or lucipinnis but not both. Paracyps but not cyps. One pair small, peaceful rock dwellers such as Julidochromis marlieri Gombe or Altolamprologus calvus.

Thanks for the reply. Talked to my local LFS which have a ton of African Cichlids and many years experience and he said no so more than likely I will have to wait on the denison barbs. It is the same as standard 75 except 3 inches taller. So 48X18X24.

I like your suggestions for the 40. I worry about calvus getting two big at 6 inches for that tank. Would I be able to do a pair of Julies along with a pair of dwarf sumbu calvus as my rock dwellers in that tank?
Troyvsc

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:20 pm

I would not do 2 rock dwellers in a 36" tank. You could swap the sumbu to take the place of the shellies. But calvus shellies are great tank in 36"
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion