General African Cichlid Discussion • Egg Tumbling Question!

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Egg Tumbling Question!

Postby Dabaum66 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 am

So I just bought an egg tumbler for my cichlids that just spawned about a week ago. I have stripped her and put all the eggs into the tumbler because she was getting beat up in my 125 and didn’t have another place to put her. My question is what does white fungus look like? How do I prevent it? Should I keep a regular light cycle too? Any information would be much appreciated! I’m going to post a picture of the eggs in the tumbler. I would like to know if any of them have white fungus on them already. Some of the eggs float, any reason as to why that is? Are they duds? Should they be removed?

Thanks,

Dabaum
Attachments
image.jpg
As you can see the two floating towards the top
image.jpg
125g mixed tank
29g planted
20g breeder/grow out
Dabaum66

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Egg Tumbling Question!

Postby punman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:06 am

Once they go white like that they are bad and should be removed or will infect the others.
They can go bad because of improper aeration or they are not fertile. If it is the latter there is nothing you can do about it.
I put my tumbler in a tank with fish so I do not have to worry about a cycled tank for the eggs. It is already cycled!
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Re: Egg Tumbling Question!

Postby Dabaum66 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 pm

punman wrote:Once they go white like that they are bad and should be removed or will infect the others.
They can go bad because of improper aeration or they are not fertile. If it is the latter there is nothing you can do about it.
I put my tumbler in a tank with fish so I do not have to worry about a cycled tank for the eggs. It is already cycled!

Thank you for the reply! I removed all of the white or floating eggs and I’m left with 38 good healthy looking eggs! I can see the heads and tails coming in! I’m super excited to see what they turn out to be. I’m excited to see how they turn out. The pair that bred was a Hongi and a Red Zebra!
125g mixed tank
29g planted
20g breeder/grow out
Dabaum66

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion