General African Cichlid Discussion • Cichlids "glancing" on the bottom

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Cichlids "glancing" on the bottom

Postby JoshMKB24 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Did a search and found some good info. The most common was "ich" and the other was it being just typical behavior.

I looked closely at the fish and none of them have any scratches or white dots or anything visible. I know not everything is visible to me, but upon human non expert visual inspection no one seems sick. Water is clear now(thanks DJRansome!) Water temp is 79.2 & all other water levels look good.

I thought it was just the males asserting themselves as they are all pretty young, but then I noticed the females doing it as well. I'm guessing its more just "normal behavior" because there are a few bare spots in the tank with no rocks and just sand, but they only do it right in the front of the tank. I don't want to throw a bunch of chemicals in there if I don't have to, but I also want the little guys to be happy & healthy! Is there anything else I can look for, for better clarity on if its them just being fish doing fish things, or something more serious. Thanks!
JoshMKB24

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cichlids "glancing" on the bottom

Postby Ichthys » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 am

One thing it isn't is normal behaviour. Its either a parasite such as ich, water (ammonia, nitrite or some other toxin), or, quite commonly, internal worms.
Ichthys

Postby Old Newbie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:27 am

Is this in an established tank? What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Have you added any new fish that were not quarantined recently? What are you using to remove chlorine/Chloramine? When fish are "flashing" or "glancing" it is usually because they are irritated in some way.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:47 am

My fish flash when they are feeling frisky and showing off. But it is an occasional thing...if it is constant then it could indicate a problem. Females can feel frisky and show off too.

Chemicals are often the CAUSE of this...don't add anything unless you diagnose an illness.

What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JoshMKB24 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 am

DJRansome wrote:My fish flash when they are feeling frisky and showing off. But it is an occasional thing...if it is constant then it could indicate a problem. Females can feel frisky and show off too.

Chemicals are often the CAUSE of this...don't add anything unless you diagnose an illness.

What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Its not constant I don't think. I don't watch them all the time, but even when I am watching them its not constant. It seems to me to be the female Lemon Jakes and the 2 male Mbenji peacocks.

Not really an established tank, I set it up a little over a month ago. Nitrate/nitrite levels are both around 0. I checked ammonia 2 weeks ago, but can't remember it off the top of my head and will check when I get home. I don't remember it being high though.

I use the API Quick Start when I 1st started the tank and then added a little bit when I did a small water change as I sucked up a lot of the poop off the bottom.
JoshMKB24

Postby Old Newbie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:47 am

Hopefully you are de-chlorinating your water when doing water changes; chlorine burns the fish and will cause them to flash. Hopefully they are just feeling frisky.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby JoshMKB24 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Old Newbie wrote:Hopefully you are de-chlorinating your water when doing water changes; chlorine burns the fish and will cause them to flash. Hopefully they are just feeling frisky.

Definitely
JoshMKB24

Postby Deeda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Definitely check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate when you test. The fact you have zero nitrate may mean the tank isn't cycled yet.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby JoshMKB24 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Ammonia between 0-.25
JoshMKB24

Postby Deeda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Do you not have test kits for nitrite and nitrate?
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby fish_gazer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 pm

My fish do that from time to time but I dismissed it as them just flexin' as they "strolled" by since nothing else was amiss. Now I'm all like I have to go buy all the chemicals, and USE them (not really).
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby JoshMKB24 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Deeda wrote:Do you not have test kits for nitrite and nitrate?

Yeah, Nitrate between 0-20 and nitrite between 0-.5

Chlorine was at 0.

Alkalinity was at 180

fish_gazer wrote:My fish do that from time to time but I dismissed it as them just flexin' as they "strolled" by since nothing else was amiss. Now I'm all like I have to go buy all the chemicals, and USE them (not really).

Haha I am hoping that is what it is! Just them strolling by and showing that peacock swag :dancing:
JoshMKB24

Postby JoshMKB24 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:28 am

So I'm fairly confident I don't have ich. I spent like an hour staring into the tank. It was long enough the fish all came out to the front of the tank and stared at me too hah. None of them had white specks on their fins or around their gills. One of the male Mbenji peacocks looked like he possibly had some lighter spots on his face..........but from what I understand ich is very white little specks. This looked more like just a lighter shaded dot. Other than that, there was nothing visible to me that would indicate ich.

Also, I want to say that if I made it sound like they do this all the time that is not the case. Lets say I watch them 3 hours/day while I'm working/eating. I will see them do it maybe 3 times. Just one of them will swim by and then a quick dip into the sandy surface. I would probably be a very overprotective parent if I had kids :)
JoshMKB24

Postby Deeda » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Which test kit brand and type are you using?

The presence of minimal amounts of ammonia and nitrite may be causing the 'flashing' or glancing of the fish. This is a relatively new tank set up so I suggest a 50% water change to get those levels down, don't forget to use dechlorinator.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby JoshMKB24 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Deeda wrote:Which test kit brand and type are you using?

The presence of minimal amounts of ammonia and nitrite may be causing the 'flashing' or glancing of the fish. This is a relatively new tank set up so I suggest a 50% water change to get those levels down, don't forget to use dechlorinator.

API Freshwater Master kit

I was sort of thinking that there would always be minimal amounts of ammonia and nitrites just because there are living things in the water. Like the fish are going to poop, so wouldn't there always be at least a little?

However if you think a 50% water change would help. I could probably do it this weekend.
JoshMKB24

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion