Switch to full site
For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.
Post a reply

restocking my 55

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm

hey all, I've got a 55 gallon, thats been up since 2012. It was stocked with a bunch of different mbuna, few peacocks, and tanganyika. During the years, I found myself getting into the saltwater stuff, so I had another tank for that. Needless to say the saltwater took all my time, and it was too much work, I ended up taking it down this past Decemeber, thats when I restocked my 55 gallon cichlids. Cause over the years, alot of the cichlids had either died, or killed one another, and by the end I was left with 3 fish. A Red Zebra, A Maingano, and a julidochromis. Well the Red zebra finally killed the Maingano, and around that time I had taken my saltwater tank down, so it was time to give much needed attention to the 55 cichlid tank. First I took the Red zebra to the store, he was a good 5 inch, and I knew it would be hard restocking with fish his size, So I just kept the julidochromis. Then I redid all my rock, I had texas holy rock but I redid it with river rock, looks more like the natural lake now. So now im all restocked, and I was wondering if this list of fish looks good, or should I overstock them a bit more? Last time I ended up with a Pseudotropheus sp. Polit and hes the one that ended up taking almost everyone out, I will never get another one of those. This is my stock list now:

1:Julidochromis(hes 5 years old!, one of my original fish)
1:Leleupi
1:Red Zebra
1:Blue Zebra
1:Maingano
1:Red top Hongi
1:Yellow fin Mbamba
1:Chailosi
1:Strawberry Peacock
3:Yellow Labs

So 12 fish in total. Is that good for a 55?

Re: restocking my 55

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

If it was me I would do 3 species with 1m to 4f ratio at least. Unless your going for an all male tank. I believe Your going to have the same problems as you had before. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this one and maybe correct me. DJ where ya at?

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Bets on how long until the red zebra rips off the peacock's head? You probably don't want any peacocks in there especially with red zebra. You may want to ditch red zebra too because he is a big standout in aggressiveness from the rest of the pack.

And isn't julidocromis a tang lake fish? I am not sure he will make it with these guys.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Cyphro wrote:Bets on how long until the red zebra rips off the peacock's head? You probably don't want any peacocks in there especially with red zebra. You may want to ditch red zebra too because he is a big standout in aggressiveness from the rest of the pack.

And isn't julidocromis a tang lake fish? I am not sure he will make it with these guys.

I agree. Every red zebra I have had was nothing but trouble and never lasted long in my tanks. I brought 6 back to my lfs at 1.5" that were trying to fight and lip lock

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm

For all-male in a 55G I would so 8 to 10 fish that look nothing alike and are peaceful and mature <= 6".

Haps and peacocks are going to work better than mbuna.

PS blue barred fish like hongi, mbamba and chailosi are look-alikes.
Post a reply