General African Cichlid Discussion • Mixing lakes

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Mixing lakes

Postby Schticky Schnauzer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am

Hey everybody! Been awhile, I was out of the hobby for a couple of years, while we moved and took care of a few life things. But, I'm back now, and just bought a new 6' 125g. Considering how I want to stock this tank, and think I might like to mix 2 lakes a little.
An almost definite will be a group of Star Sapphires. I had these before and loved them. I've also become fascinated by some of the lake Tanganyika species. I never kept Tangs before, only Malawi and Vics. I'm specifically looking at the Cyprichromis, but will gladly take recommendations. Is cyps with star sapphires acceptable? I havnt found much when googling this, so has me worried. Thanks for any help!
135 Gal 6'All male Hap/Peacock
75gal Breeder-Yellow Borleyi, F1 Otter Point jake
Also Breeding Para. Chromogynos,Lethrinops Mbasi Creek,A Hueseri F0/F1,,A.Saulosi F2
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.-John Ruskin
Schticky Schnauzer

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixing lakes

Postby noki » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm

I don't know if anyone has tried. Even though "Star Sapphires" are pretty slow and mellow than can get 5-8".

If you want Cyprichromis to look and do their best, they need to be in a decent group, feel comfortable, and confident. You will be disappointed in your Cyps if they are not happy or a bit stressed. I would suggest get the group of Cyps established as the main focus of the tank first, then decide how much you want to risk. Most Tang mouthbrooders are expensive non beginner fish and you will be disappointed if they are done half way. Not as easy to mix and match like Malawi cichlids.
noki

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion