General African Cichlid Discussion • Is 10 gal enough for QT

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Is 10 gal enough for QT

Postby Mbuna freak » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Hello everybody. So I got another 55 gallon for 30 bucks. Couldn't pass it up im thinking about stocking it with a few peacocks my main question is will my 10 gal hospital tank be big enough to quarantine 6-8 2" peacocks for about a week? I have a bunch of rock I can add to make them feel more comfortable. The new 55 is pretty nice I don't want to stain the silicone on this one. Anyways thanks in advance
Mbuna freak

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is 10 gal enough for QT

Postby Deeda » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

A 10G tank is a bit small for that number and size of peacocks but you might get away with it for 1 week if you have good filtration and do frequent water changes.

The proper method to quarantine new fish is for a minimum of 4 weeks as this allows you to watch the fish to see if they develop any illness and check to see if they are eating properly. Normally you don't treat with medications unless you can identify the specific illness. It is also recommended to use a 20 gallon tank, either a long or tall tank, depending on the size of the fish. A 20G long is really ideal as it allows enough room horizontally for the fish to have somewhere to escape from each other.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Re: Is 10 gal enough for QT

Postby Mbuna freak » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

I was thinking it was a bit small also. Im going to play it safe and grab a bigger tank when I go out of town next week. Just have to convince my LFS to hold the fish I want
Mbuna freak

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion