Switch to full site
For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.
Post a reply

New Setup Recommendations

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 am

I'm changing my 125 over to an African tank. I have the opportunity to get a school of 12 to 15 Synodontis Angelicus relatively cheap. Knowing that they hide quite a bit, I am looking for recommendations on what free swimmers I can have that would be compatible. I was thinking of Congo Tetras but wanted to know my options on not very aggressive cichlids. I thought about Frontosa but the water parameters are too different. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Re: New Setup Recommendations

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 am

"recommendations on what free swimmers I can have that would be compatible" all depends on various things.

mbuna cichlids only tank?
Or haps/peacock tank?

I am sure many more folk pull put there bobs worth in.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am

I know lots about frontosas but not too much about Synodontis Angelicus.

I don't think the water parameters are too different to be a problem.

My concerns would be that I hear Synodontis Angelicus can be aggressive and frontosas (except at times amongst themselves) are not. Diet might not be a problem if you are feeding a good quality pellet to both but if you are using blood worms and so on for Synodontis Angelicus , then no to the frontosas. If you want to breed frontosas, then Synodontis Angelicus could interfere.

Frotosas are usually bought as a specialty fish - the main focus - not as an add on.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:19 am

I'm not looking to breed anything. If it happens then it happens. I'm open to any suggestions as long as they're not overly aggressive.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 am

Why not cater to the Angelicus and do a Congo/riverine tank?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am

Angelicus get pretty large and mine is more of a loner that doesn't seem to care for other catsfish. The African river tank is a great idea though. Congo tetras, rope fish, butterfly fish and a cichlid like buffaloheads would make an interesting tank.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

DJRansome wrote:Why not cater to the Angelicus and do a Congo/riverine tank?

That is my current thought. I am just weighing my options besides Congo Tetras. The focus is on the Angelicus but I don't want the tank to look empty when they're hiding either. I bought some small powerheads to add current to the tank for that river feel.

james1983 wrote:Angelicus get pretty large and mine is more of a loner that doesn't seem to care for other catsfish. The African river tank is a great idea though. Congo tetras, rope fish, butterfly fish and a cichlid like buffaloheads would make an interesting tank.

The Butterfly fish is an interesting possibility. I'm not digging the Buffalo Heads though.

These are good ideas. Please keep them coming.
Post a reply