General African Cichlid Discussion • Colony has arrived blue dolphins

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Colony has arrived blue dolphins

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Unfortunately the zebra seems to be aggressive and I have actually isolated him into a breeding container I was wondering what would you do would you just hand into a pet shop
https://youtu.be/zEWYcjb96AE

Take a look at the video
Tank (A) 120 Gallon 60" C.Moori, acuticeps, Red Empress, Blue Neons Buccochromis rhoadesii
Tank (B) 65 Gallon Grow out tank currently Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) Champsochromis caeruleus and Blue peacocks yellow labs
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Colony has arrived blue dolphins

Postby noki » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Those are rather large, and look good.

That is quite normal for a Zebra Mbuna to act more dominant, territorial, and bossy. Especially since the population density in the tank is not very crowded.
noki

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello thank you very much for the reply I have currently stuck him into a breeding tank and a magnet is holding it in place on the upper area of the water I don't know exactly what to do should I add some more rock or should I just take him to a pet shop tomorrow morning I really can't risk it instantly the Colony showed amazingly signs of breathing already and it's literally been an hour only once he was removed but they completely hated it when he was inside somebody told me to reintroduce him tomorrow and see if that has helped apparently he said if I had rock it will could make it worse what do you think
Tank (A) 120 Gallon 60" C.Moori, acuticeps, Red Empress, Blue Neons Buccochromis rhoadesii
Tank (B) 65 Gallon Grow out tank currently Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) Champsochromis caeruleus and Blue peacocks yellow labs
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby noki » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Cichlid_beast123 wrote:Hello thank you very much for the reply I have currently stuck him into a breeding tank and a magnet is holding it in place on the upper area of the water I don't know exactly what to do should I add some more rock or should I just take him to a pet shop tomorrow morning I really can't risk it instantly the Colony showed amazingly signs of breathing already and it's literally been an hour only once he was removed but they completely hated it when he was inside somebody told me to reintroduce him tomorrow and see if that has helped apparently he said if I had rock it will could make it worse what do you think

Since you obviously made the effort and paid to get the group of C. moorii, you should cater the tank for the "Dolphins". Adding rock will not change the attitude of the OB Zebra. The Zebra may mellow out, or not mellow out, over time. Right now he is establishing his dominance, which is normal for adults. He might always be a jerk, you never know. Adding other types of Malawi cichlids and making the tank more crowded might distract him.

If the "Dolphin" colony is important, you should not put the OB Zebra back in. He is an adult, and he has an adult attitude that can make it difficult. Waiting to see what happens is your decision.
noki

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:06 pm

noki wrote:
Cichlid_beast123 wrote:Hello thank you very much for the reply I have currently stuck him into a breeding tank and a magnet is holding it in place on the upper area of the water I don't know exactly what to do should I add some more rock or should I just take him to a pet shop tomorrow morning I really can't risk it instantly the Colony showed amazingly signs of breathing already and it's literally been an hour only once he was removed but they completely hated it when he was inside somebody told me to reintroduce him tomorrow and see if that has helped apparently he said if I had rock it will could make it worse what do you think

Since you obviously made the effort and paid to get the group of C. moorii, you should cater the tank for the "Dolphins". Adding rock will not change the attitude of the OB Zebra. The Zebra may mellow out, or not mellow out, over time. Right now he is establishing his dominance, which is normal for adults. He might always be a jerk, you never know. Adding other types of Malawi cichlids and making the tank more crowded might distract him.

If the "Dolphin" colony is important, you should not put the OB Zebra back in. He is an adult, and he has an adult attitude that can make it difficult. Waiting to see what happens is your decision.

Yes thanks very much basically the Colony is my priority and they are extremely happy not an ounce of aggression between the two males the other for females and two juveniles seem very happy as well I even saw a sign of breeding already
My goal is to have fry so I will need to stick to my goal I'm going to basically give him to a pet shop n check the local adds some people collect large cichlids for their big tanks I might give him to a collector he's a decent size and of the day and I know he's 5 years old because he was one of the fly that stayed with me and survived during the time my tank was in a bad state I kind of feel a little bit sad to let him go in a funny way haha
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby BlueSunshine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Docile and peaceful......that's very funny. :lol: :lol:

Very nice looking group!!!
BlueSunshine

Postby punman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 am

Almost any time I have had Dolphins I have had a group of yellow labs - nice colour contrast and they should get along. I'd suggest covering the back of the tank - even with coloured poster board - anything.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

punman wrote:Almost any time I have had Dolphins I have had a group of yellow labs - nice colour contrast and they should get along. I'd suggest covering the back of the tank - even with coloured poster board - anything.

hi yes i did :) it was hard work as i couldnt move the tank spent 2 hours trying to clean the back went on the floor lol from the place where the canisters sit
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion