General African Cichlid Discussion • Fish not liking new food

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Fish not liking new food

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:45 pm

I just recently switched from tetracolor tropical granules to NLS cichlid formula and Thera A and some fish eat it no matter what but others are still waiting for the other food to be put in. I'm doing both right now so they all eat but should I just do NLS and when they get hungry enough they'll start eating? They've had the tetracolor granules and floating pellets for 8 months so I don't think they like change. I'm worried the 1mm size is too small for the electric blue acara and she doesn't see it. Any help would be appreciated.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fish not liking new food

Postby fish_gazer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 pm

I've had similar issues with the same products. It seems my boys like floating food, so I even bought NLS floating pellets which they spit out!

I have NLS floating and sinking pellets, two types of NorthFin pellets, and even Omega One pellets, yet they prefer Tetra pellets, so that is what the knuckleheads get. I gave up trying to force feed them.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:36 pm

They will eventually eat the quality food. You need to be more stubborn than the fish, LOL. Good idea to transition slowly like you are doing though.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Yeah I just hate that they are being stubborn to begin with. I didn't pay this much for their food for them to not eat it. Like I said, some of the others eat whatever I put in there and Wanda (my blue acara) just stares at me like "I'm waiting". I of course give in to her. Maybe I'll buy a small container of the NLS floating pellets to see if she eats those instead.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:16 pm

They are winning! Give it one month.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks for the advice :)
Electricyellow3

Postby fish_gazer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm

I tried the NorthFin before I left for work this morning, and of course, it fell right to the bottom while them bird brains were still biting at air at the surface!

I had to leave so I didn't get to see who ate and who didn't, I guess that'll be apparent when I get home.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby Electricyellow3 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:05 pm

fish_gazer wrote:I tried the NorthFin before I left for work this morning, and of course, it fell right to the bottom while them bird brains were still biting at air at the surface!

I had to leave so I didn't get to see who ate and who didn't, I guess that'll be apparent when I get home.

They certainly do have a mind of their own and their own personalities. Mine will end up eating what I give them or guess go without lol
Electricyellow3

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion