General African Cichlid Discussion • Introduction and Stocking Opinion

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Introduction and Stocking Opinion

Postby RiftLakeKeeper11 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi, I am new here, and currently have a six foot 125 gal African tank with two jack dempsys. In total, I have about 26 cichlids, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 2 Synodontis Eupterus .My tank is a conglomeration of all three lakes. For malawi, I have a livingstonii, bumble bees, yellow labs, cobalt blue zebras, venustus, and a couple others that I am probably forgetting. For Tanganiyka, I have a mate pair of Brichardi, and a calvus. And from Victoria, I have a pair of haplochromis zebra obliquidens. And, like I mentioned earlier, the jack dempsys. So, getting to the point of my post, I was hoping to add 5 to 10 more cichlids to the tank. These would include smaller mbuna like fulleborni, and haps like nimbochromis, or haplochromis. Basically a mix of of big and small fish. Currently have 160 gals of HOB filtratio, and planning on adding another 80 gals. Would this be ok?
RiftLakeKeeper11

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Introduction and Stocking Opinion

Postby james1983 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I wouldn't add anything else. You're well over stocked. Are your fish full grown?
james1983

Postby RiftLakeKeeper11 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Nope. most are juvies. Biggest fish are a 5 in livingstonii, and 4 in bumble bees.
RiftLakeKeeper11

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 pm

I am surprised your current mix isn't giving you problems. If it is working, I would not add a thing.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby RiftLakeKeeper11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Ok, cool. I will keep the current stock, but was wondering what a normal stock would have been for a set up like this? I realize that I did not stock just mbuna with this tank, and instead went with a mix of haps and mbuna, meaning that I can not keep as many fish, but did not think I was overstocked yet. I guess that I am with eventual sizes though. Thanks!
RiftLakeKeeper11

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 pm

The most fish I like in a 125G is 25. This would look like 5 species with 1m:4f of each.

You could push the envelope and go with 35. But the ideal for these numbers is 7 species with 1m:4f of each.

For all-male with 1 of each and no look-alikes, I like 18 individuals that mature at or under 6".

One example of a possible future problem area is 3 Nimbochromis species. They may fight or not color up as they mature.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby RiftLakeKeeper11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 pm

I was hoping that my two species would not be a problem, but time will tell. I may have to remove some fish as the tank goes along. Thanks for the stock info. I have read all the way up to 50 fish on some forums. Not sure what idiot wrote that, but I need to find out what forum that was and remind myself to never accept info from that site again. Thanks again!
RiftLakeKeeper11

Postby RiftLakeKeeper11 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Looking at other info, your stock looks to be the consensus. Not sure where I got 30-50 fish from.
RiftLakeKeeper11

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 am

You issue may be more the variety and genders of the fish you chose rather than the numbers. If you limit the species and do larger groups of each with 1m:4f your number would not be too bad. It appears that you have many species but small number of each.

Another thing to keep in mind when watching for aggression: Malawi and Victorians do not pair. With 1m:1f the male is likely to kill the female. The reason for many females to a single male is to spread aggression across the females so no one individual is hurt or harassed excessively.

Of course I am ignoring the JDs in all of this.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion