General African Cichlid Discussion • Blue Dolphin newbie best conditions

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Blue Dolphin newbie best conditions

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Hello im hoping to breed these any tips :)
Tank (A) 120 Gallon 60" C.Moori, acuticeps, Red Empress, Blue Neons Buccochromis rhoadesii
Tank (B) 65 Gallon Grow out tank currently Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) Champsochromis caeruleus and Blue peacocks yellow labs
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Blue Dolphin newbie best conditions

Postby Deeda » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Welcome to C-F!!

Here is an article to get you started.

Do you already have a tank set up for them and if so what are the dimensions?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby punman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm

You buying a breeding group, a random group of adults, some young juveniles? More info needed please.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:47 pm

hi thx so much for the replys!
i had an account here before but it got deleted due to inactivity
long story short i had a bad accident and I've just been in a bad way for 5 years now finally im back on my feet physically and mentally
once upon a time i had a thriving tank and im looking to bring it back up to life again
vid of my tank years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvspBtsn98w

now only 2 fish left (i was in such a bad way sorry) but today i drove to pay for my pairs yes 2 males 2 females and 2 (hopefully female) juveniles
the changes i made today

I purchased a HMA System (i once used this and the fished loved the water)
i currently have removed all that rock and been on a suction frenzy my god water was so black! will clean out the fx6 and the fx5 one today the other in 2 weeks and will do water change soon with hma water
im really keen on breeding them i had some experience with the common malaiw and i stripped her but some say i should let her spit and suck them out with the cleaning tube.
im gona post up my fish
Tank (A) 120 Gallon 60" C.Moori, acuticeps, Red Empress, Blue Neons Buccochromis rhoadesii
Tank (B) 65 Gallon Grow out tank currently Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) Champsochromis caeruleus and Blue peacocks yellow labs
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm

https://youtu.be/Jqy4D_rvIYA
take a look at the Dolphins here!
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 pm

here take a look at all the rock i removed today aiming to have just a few
mainly because when i need to maybe catch the female also more volume of water can be held this rock was easy taking away 100 l maybe
i also removed the rio big box thing!

would you guys agree with that less rock?
also what temp would you maintain for breeding ph and any other stats?>
Attachments
rock.jpg
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby punman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 am

Dolphins tend to be more open water dwellers. I don't have them now did so for many years. I wouldn't put more than 20% of your floor space (footprint) in rocks.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm

punman wrote:Dolphins tend to be more open water dwellers. I don't have them now did so for many years. I wouldn't put more than 20% of your floor space (footprint) in rocks.

cheers thats good to know what temp i was going to go for 26.5 sort of higher ended temp to promote breeding
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 pm

78 degrees
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 am

Thankyou thats about 25.55c how important do you feel that temp is
And do you think 26.5 is too much and not optimal for them
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 am

If you go too much warmer you speed up their metabolism and possibly shorten their life span. I don't think it necessarily enhances spawning.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:17 am

DJRansome wrote:If you go too much warmer you speed up their metabolism and possibly shorten their life span. I don't think it necessarily enhances spawning.

Ok thank you so much any other satistics you want to give me the ideal pH and any other stock I could mix them with I don't want to overstep my tank this time by the way you may remember me from last time unfortunately I lost that accounts thank you very much for your help back then
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby wharfrat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 am

Since your going the colony route are you sure you don't want a fat colony of Mpimbwe Frontosa puppies. I am sort of sad I went the predator Hap route because I love Mpimbwe's so much...they are like a colony of wet pets. Now the different coloration of the Predator Haps make a great DT, but I understand why Gibbs are loved so much.

All that aside I think Malawi Dolphins are nice for a colony fish. You can break rules and keep them with Fronts...I have seen it done with success and good results. If you are breeding I assume you will strip the females and have a grow out tank...if so this will enable you to have more availability of tank mates. Since they are Haps, and you are going to have harems, I would not put in other Haps unless you want the chance of a Frankenstein hybrid fish. I have seen some weird Nimbochromis/Cyrtocara mixes. I remember somebody talking about a yellow lab/dolphin mix before, but I can't remember if it was verified.

They are open water fish and do not require much rock work but I like to place several very large rocks in the DT because I like the look...but you don't have to go crazy with the mbuna hotel...which is actually nice because you can remove the females easier and do not end up with 3000 fish in your tank.
wharfrat

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm

wharfrat wrote:Since your going the colony route are you sure you don't want a fat colony of Mpimbwe Frontosa puppies. I am sort of sad I went the predator Hap route because I love Mpimbwe's so much...they are like a colony of wet pets. Now the different coloration of the Predator Haps make a great DT, but I understand why Gibbs are loved so much.

All that aside I think Malawi Dolphins are nice for a colony fish. You can break rules and keep them with Fronts...I have seen it done with success and good results. If you are breeding I assume you will strip the females and have a grow out tank...if so this will enable you to have more availability of tank mates. Since they are Haps, and you are going to have harems, I would not put in other Haps unless you want the chance of a Frankenstein hybrid fish. I have seen some weird Nimbochromis/Cyrtocara mixes. I remember somebody talking about a yellow lab/dolphin mix before, but I can't remember if it was verified.

They are open water fish and do not require much rock work but I like to place several very large rocks in the DT because I like the look...but you don't have to go crazy with the mbuna hotel...which is actually nice because you can remove the females easier and do not end up with 3000 fish in your tank.

Hello thank you very much for the amazing response
I definitely don't want to crossd them know these are F1 so I'm keeping making sure they're going to breed with themselves
Although I'm not inexperienced in the Hobby but technically I am a bit of a noob particularly with terminology and with what fish to mix and what to look for and things like that so I appreciate everything you say here is a video of the tank at the moment and the two fish I have one catfish I may remove that hybrid fish if he's going to bother my Dolphinn's let me know what you think I should put in

Watch "Tank at the moment" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/g2QGLke0Xf4
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Postby Cichlid_beast123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Oh and by the way yes I have stripped them previously but I would be pretty nervous holding a dolphin some people told me to let them mouth prove naturally and then you can fighting them out into the fry tank what's your thoughts on that
(Updated 27/03/2018)
Cichlid_beast123

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion