General African Cichlid Discussion • Mixing African and South American?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Mixing African and South American?

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 pm

So I have a 60g and have had these fish for about 8 months now. I've read that mixing is a bad thing but I've not seen anything bad other than the typical fighting over territory which I've heard just Africans can do. I have electric blue acara, firemouth, and pink convicts which I believe to be south American. I have electric yellow, ob peacock, kenyi, red zebra which I believe to be African. Should I split these up into their own tank or will they continue being fine? They were raised as juveniles so maybe that has helped? Any help will be appreciated!
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixing African and South American?

Postby FireHorn123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

I would split them up. Generally speaking South Americans and Africans don’t mix well. Even some Africans don’t mix well together like the peacock and mbuna. Mbuna have different diets and can develop bloat from foods too high in protein. If you really want a mixed African and South American tank you could do female convicts together with peacocks or haps.
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:16 pm

FireHorn123 wrote:I would split them up. Generally speaking South Americans and Africans don’t mix well. Even some Africans don’t mix well together like the peacock and mbuna. Mbuna have different diets and can develop bloat from foods too high in protein. If you really want a mixed African and South American tank you could do female convicts together with peacocks or haps.

Thanks for the advice. So was I correct on what I labeled mine as? Making sure I got the Africans and south American right. I'll try to get a bigger tank and put my acara, convicts and firemouth in together.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby morrismorris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

I wouldn't risk it.
morrismorris

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 pm

morrismorris wrote:I wouldn't risk it.

They've been fine for the last 8 months though. They were purchased as babies.
Electricyellow3

Postby morrismorris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 am

Electricyellow3 wrote:
morrismorris wrote:I wouldn't risk it.

They've been fine for the last 8 months though. They were purchased as babies.

I'm not sure that matters. Over time their behaviours will start to change as they mature. This isn't to say you couldn't get lucky and it works out but I wouldn't mess with those odds.
morrismorris

Postby FireHorn123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:33 pm

It should be fine in a 60g but the Acara may get bullied. Convicts and Firemouths are fine together, you could add some other small SA/CA cichlids a 60g gives you some wiggle room. What’s the layout of the aquarium?
10g-Unoccupied
FireHorn123

Postby Electricyellow3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

FireHorn123 wrote:It should be fine in a 60g but the Acara may get bullied. Convicts and Firemouths are fine together, you could add some other small SA/CA cichlids a 60g gives you some wiggle room. What’s the layout of the aquarium?

I have gravel as substrate and one end is mainly planted for hiding purposes. I have a large castle that my peacock has claimed as his and some other small caves.
Electricyellow3

Postby FireHorn123 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:54 am

So what’s your plan for your setup because your going to have to choose one. I would suggest Mbuna since there is a greater variety of similar size.
10g-Unoccupied
FireHorn123

Postby Electricyellow3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm

FireHorn123 wrote:So what’s your plan for your setup because your going to have to choose one. I would suggest Mbuna since there is a greater variety of similar size.

Yeah I'm going to have to wait until I can get at least a 30g to put the Acara in and the convicts. Then my 60g will be my mbuna.
Electricyellow3

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion