General African Cichlid Discussion • Recommended Food?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Re: Recommended Food?

Postby fish_gazer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

I have New Life Spectrum (floating and sinking), NorthFin (veggie and cichlid), Omega One Cichlid (sinking) and Tetra floating pellets. And which do my fish go bat #%$& crazy for? The Tetra pellets!

It's very upsetting because Tetra was the one I began with and is supposedly an inferior product, so I have spent a ton of money on all of these other brands for no good reason.

They do like the NLS sinking pellets, but at 1mm, they just don't seem to do the job for my fish who are all 4 inches plus.

Blah.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm

fish_gazer wrote:I have New Life Spectrum (floating and sinking), NorthFin (veggie and cichlid), Omega One Cichlid (sinking) and Tetra floating pellets. And which do my fish go bat #%$& crazy for? The Tetra pellets!

It's very upsetting because Tetra was the one I began with and is supposedly an inferior product, so I have spent a ton of money on all of these other brands for no good reason.

They do like the NLS sinking pellets, but at 1mm, they just don't seem to do the job for my fish who are all 4 inches plus.

Blah.

Yeah I'm hoping that my fish like the NLS but I did get it for a good price on Amazon. We shall see how they like it.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby punman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:51 am

You often hear about how tropheus need a strict vegetable diet. I had tropheus for three years and fed only NLS cichlid formula and never lost an adult fish.
I did not keep my tropheus with other fish. But that was not for dietary reasons. It had more to do with fish personalities and stress. All my tanks got NLS.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am

fish_gazer wrote:They do like the NLS sinking pellets, but at 1mm, they just don't seem to do the job for my fish who are all 4 inches plus.
I feed the 1mm to all my fish through 8 inches. I bought a larger pellet size 1X because I acquired a full size borleyi who would not eat. I suspect he had a vision problem.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 am

I am using some 4 mm size pellets for my adult Frontosas (6.5 - 11 inches). Not saying they would turn away from 1 mm but I feel it is less number of pellets to put into the tank - so less pellets getting lost in the rocks or sucked into filter and so on. This way I can feed them four times faster and they find the food quicker.

Pellets too big are not good either though, as fish too small will break off pieces and make a mess.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby fish_gazer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm

DJRansome wrote:I feed the 1mm to all my fish through 8 inches.

Yes, it was after reading a post from you that I ordered that particular brand and size on the spot. My boys like it and eat it, it just seems to be scattershot. Whereas with the 2mm floating pellets, it's boom, boom, boom - done.

I tried the floating 2mm pellets from NLS, but they spit it out. It's weird. I don't know what to make of that.
125G Lake Malawi - 3 peacocks, 1 hap, 1 mbuna
fish_gazer

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 pm

punman wrote:I am using some 4 mm size pellets for my adult Frontosas (6.5 - 11 inches). Not saying they would turn away from 1 mm but I feel it is less number of pellets to put into the tank - so less pellets getting lost in the rocks or sucked into filter and so on. This way I can feed them four times faster and they find the food quicker.

Pellets too big are not good either though, as fish too small will break off pieces and make a mess.

Yeah I deal with that now. They eat but spit out particles so I figured it may have been too small for them. Can't wait for NLS to arrive and see how they like it.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 pm

DJRansome wrote:
fish_gazer wrote:They do like the NLS sinking pellets, but at 1mm, they just don't seem to do the job for my fish who are all 4 inches plus.
I feed the 1mm to all my fish through 8 inches. I bought a larger pellet size 1X because I acquired a full size borleyi who would not eat. I suspect he had a vision problem.

You must be the infamous DJR everyone speaks of on here. I'm glad to get some of your knowledge! Thank you
Electricyellow3

Previous

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion