General African Cichlid Discussion • Recommended Food?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Recommended Food?

Postby Electricyellow3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm

I currently have some African cichlids and South America cichlids such as electric yellow lab, pink convicts, firemouth, ob peacock, electric blue acara, red zebra, and kenyi and was wondering what food would be beneficial for all of them. I am currently using tetracolor tropical granules and thought about switching to NLS cichlid formula. Would this be a good choice and if so/not do you recommend anything else? Thanks
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Recommended Food?

Postby DutchAJ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 pm

I use NLS based off of a lot of recommendations from members here.
75 G- Saulosi (Taiwanee), Yellow Tail Acei (Luwala), & Rusties
DutchAJ

Postby Electricyellow3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 pm

DutchAJ wrote:I use NLS based off of a lot of recommendations from members here.

So the NLS cichlid formula seems to be the one. I heard also that if you feed them blood worms or brine shrimp it can make them aggressive. Not sure if that is true. I'm sure they get tired of boring pellets all the time.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby DutchAJ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 pm

I’ve never fed blood worms or brine shrimp to my mbuna, but they always attack the food like they’re starving, so they don’t seem to be getting tired of it yet!
75 G- Saulosi (Taiwanee), Yellow Tail Acei (Luwala), & Rusties
DutchAJ

Postby Electricyellow3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 pm

DutchAJ wrote:I’ve never fed blood worms or brine shrimp to my mbuna, but they always attack the food like they’re starving, so they don’t seem to be getting tired of it yet!

This is true. My friends are always like you must be starving them. I feed them once a day. They are just naturally hungry lol
Electricyellow3

Postby BlueSunshine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 pm

These are the foods I can recommend. The fish love them, colors are great and growth is excellent.
Extreme Aquatic Foods- cichlid peewee
Northfin Cichlid Formula and Northfin Veggie Formula

The difference is I noticed less fish waste with the Northfin Foods
BlueSunshine

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:48 am

BlueSunshine wrote:These are the foods I can recommend. The fish love them, colors are great and growth is excellent.
Extreme Aquatic Foods- cichlid peewee
Northfin Cichlid Formula and Northfin Veggie Formula

The difference is I noticed less fish waste with the Northfin Foods

Great, thanks! I may try both just to see what works best. I've just heard a lot of good things about NLS
Electricyellow3

Postby punman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 am

I used New Life Spectrum and nothing else for 13 years. Loved it and still do.
Two years ago I tried NorthFin. It looks good for ingredients and my fish like it so I now use both.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Ten Frontosa mpimbwe f1
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Old Newbie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 am

Electricyellow3 wrote:I currently have some African cichlids and South America cichlids such as electric yellow lab, pink convicts, firemouth, ob peacock, electric blue acara, red zebra, and kenyi and was wondering what food would be beneficial for all of them. I am currently using tetracolor tropical granules and thought about switching to NLS cichlid formula. Would this be a good choice and if so/not do you recommend anything else? Thanks

Are all of these fish in the same tank? The Yellow Lab, Red Zebra and Kenyi are all vegitarian and the rest are omnivore. The Mbuna (vegetarians) may not do well on a generic "cichlid" diet.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Old Newbie wrote:
Electricyellow3 wrote:I currently have some African cichlids and South America cichlids such as electric yellow lab, pink convicts, firemouth, ob peacock, electric blue acara, red zebra, and kenyi and was wondering what food would be beneficial for all of them. I am currently using tetracolor tropical granules and thought about switching to NLS cichlid formula. Would this be a good choice and if so/not do you recommend anything else? Thanks

Are all of these fish in the same tank? The Yellow Lab, Red Zebra and Kenyi are all vegitarian and the rest are omnivore. The Mbuna (vegetarians) may not do well on a generic "cichlid" diet.

Yes they are all in the same tank. Had them for about 8 months now. That's why i was trying to find something that would benefit all of them. I read that the NLS contains protein and vegetables for different varieties. Any input would be appreciated as I don't have another big tank to separate them.
Electricyellow3

Postby Old Newbie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I would feed a combination of foods making sure the Mbuna are getting something like NLS Algae Max regularly.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby noddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Electricyellow3 wrote:
Old Newbie wrote:

Yes they are all in the same tank. Had them for about 8 months now. That's why i was trying to find something that would benefit all of them. I read that the NLS contains protein and vegetables for different varieties. Any input would be appreciated as I don't have another big tank to separate them.

NLS and Northfin are great foods for both omnivores and herbivores. I feed NLS thera+A, Northfin cichlid and Northfin veggie to all my fish.
noddy

Postby james1983 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

NLS will work for everyone, I used thra-A in all of my tanks. 1mm or 3mm depending on fish size.
james1983

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Great, thanks everyone! I'll go ahead and order the NLS cichlid formula then.
Electricyellow3

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Just ordered the NLS cichlid formula and the Thera A as well. Hope they like it!
Electricyellow3

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion