General African Cichlid Discussion • New to Africans, tank cleanup crew prob

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Re: New to Africans, tank cleanup crew prob

Postby Roos421 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 pm

Hmmm everything as fine beside the white night being a touch nippy to all my fish. which isn't a big concern for me.

But now my Yellow Benga chases my Taiwan reef when he is sight, leaves all the other fish alone. nothing overly bad....
Also my new 4 inch Blue neon is getting chased by my 3 inch Red shoulder.... again red shoulder leaves all my other fish alone.

Could all the gold vine i have in my tank be the cause? eg: Territorial ? Make the tank more open with not much places to claim?

or just be patient and hope they get along as time goes by....?

Thanks for any input.
Roos421

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Roos421 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 am

no fin nipping or jaw locking going on at all.
I understand cichlids will be cichlids, just wish to do my best to minimise aggression, i worry to much about them perhaps.
I do think a more open tank will help...??
And i have seen i the past , first hand , that no matter what you do some cichlids are just plain bully's no matter what you do, i understand this. There are always rouge angry cichlids around. Even though there suppose to be a peaceful fish species.
Roos421

Postby DJRansome » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:24 pm

My blue neon never colored up...he may be too timid for the other fish in your tank.

Watch for injuries and any fish lurking under the surface or behind equipment (a sign of harassement). Also if fish are being kept out of half the tank. Otherwise they are fine. A more open tank will not help.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Roos421 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks DJ,
And yeah, same here my Blue neon is not colouring up at all, touch of blue and yellow but that's it.
Maybe to timid, shame shame, there supposed to colour up so so nicely.
Roos421

Postby Roos421 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 pm

Yeah i am starting to see what you mean DJ, the longer they stay together the more the hierarchy battle begins. It will take some tinkering for sure, i will see how it goes, but some out and some in will happen for sure, i can foresee it already.
Its a challenge for sure , till i get the right mix.
Older they become more forgiving they become? or more nasty they become?
I will Pm you later DJ with the scientific name of all the fish i have, i would like your take on it, as i am new to Africans.
Thanks DJ!! and i hope i am not a bother to you.
Roos421

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:00 am

The aggression comes and goes and changes from individual to individual and from time to time until they have been together around two years...then things seem to stabilize.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Roos421 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 am

update on my stock, fish are looking more nice in colour now, seem to tolerate each other more as times passes. Thanks for pm reply DJ !!
Keeping my tank as is for awhile yet, there all looking great. Neon blue did go, poor colour on him. see what happens as they get larger, guessing i might take afew out....but so far just keeps looking better, all colours in fish keep getting a touch nicer.
Roos421

Previous

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion