General African Cichlid Discussion • What is this behavior?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

What is this behavior?

Postby Electricyellow3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm

https://youtu.be/JYKUhyyg2nQ
Not sure what he is doing but I thought it was maybe a mating dance.
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What is this behavior?

Postby BlueSunshine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm

He probably sees his reflection and is fighting with it. I see this behavior with a lot of our mbuna.
Very nice looking lab.
BlueSunshine

Postby Electricyellow3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I thought so too but he is literally the only one doing it so wasn't sure. He seems attracted to my red zebra which I know hybrids are a no no but I'm not getting in the way. My tank is stocked with uniquely different fish lol
60g/electric blue acara, OB peacock cichlid, electric yellow lab, (2)pink convicts, firemouth, kenyi, red zebra, red tail shark, pleco
Electricyellow3

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 am

He is frustrated he can't get through the glass and GET that other fish. He is not trying to spawn in that pic.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Electricyellow3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 pm

DJRansome wrote:He is frustrated he can't get through the glass and GET that other fish. He is not trying to spawn in that pic.

Okay thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything to be worried about haha. So it's also not any form of dance for the other fish he is trying to get to notice him?
Electricyellow3

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

No he is showing aggression. The wiggle is an attempt to propel himself through the glass, he can't see the barrier so he can't understand it. The spawning move is more of a circle with another fish and a spasm at one point in each circle.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Electricyellow3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Thank you so much for this. I've only been at the hobby for about 7 months so still learning.
Electricyellow3

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion